Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 78 of 95 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 94 95
Re: Maybe I should start a v4.0 build thread somewhere
Gr8_White_North #408608 12/06/14 05:44 AM
axiomite
axiomite
UPS has special instructions on how to do that.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
nickbuol #408612 12/06/14 06:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Actually we count on DHL (Drop ,Hammer & Lob ) for that kind of service. grin

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
fredk #408626 12/07/14 05:48 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: fredk
UPS has special instructions on how to do that.

funny, especially so since i got a beat up box from UPS the other day

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Gr8_White_North #408627 12/07/14 05:48 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Socketman
Actually we count on DHL (Drop ,Hammer & Lob ) for that kind of service. grin

Even funnier, though i had DHL deliver my Tannoy Definition speakers to me from the US years back and they arrived in great condition, likely more due to the great seller packaging.

nickbuol #408628 12/07/14 05:50 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: nickbuol

Also, Ian believes that the odd mystery about the opened box is that it was opened in customs.

This has happened to me before. However the box had a sticker tape over the top stating US customs or something like that which kind of indicated they opened the box but then resealed it.
A reasonable thing to do for the eventual customer.

nickbuol #408655 12/08/14 01:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I think you should keep the imperfect grill. Perhaps it will be like an imperfect run of coins and become super valuable someday?

Or, maybe not...........

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
nickbuol #408668 12/08/14 08:48 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I don't think that they are that collectable. Maybe I should start a website about making this sort of thing a collector's item.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #413237 07/05/15 11:09 PM
A
connoisseur
connoisseur
A
Bump for updates. (Didn't seem right this thread was 6 pages deep.)

Any thoughts on what/when you will be looking into immersive stuff? Are you going to try DTS:X with a standard layout first? Ie. No height channels immediately.

I'm on a dealers mailing list for in ceiling specials, but having finally heard Axioms the in ceiling M3s may be on the table. But gosh expensive!

nickbuol #413380 07/10/15 04:43 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Not sure that much has changed since my last post....

As far as DTS:X and Atmos, I've already started down that path to some degree.

Last year I swapped out my (4) QS8s with (4) on-wall M3s since Atmos really wants direct mono-pole surround and overhead speakers.

I still have the QS8s, but they are in boxes with my VP150. Kind of crazy when I think about how many speakers and subs I have. I could have a nice 7.1 setup in the theater, and still a pretty killer 5.1 setup somewhere else in the house.

But no. Both subs are staying in the theater, and I just need to get off my butt and do something with the QS8s and VP150. Maybe fund the 4 overhead speakers that will be needed??? I would love to find a way to use on-wall M3s for a smooth transitioning soundfield, but would need to be creative in mounting them to the ceiling. Using in-ceiling M3s makes me cringe a little bit to put such large holes in my soundproofed ceiling (the single surface of the theater with the absolute most soundproofing as our bedroom is right above the theater). Then again, a number of people are making DIY ceiling speakers that are considered "full range" to meet the Atmos specs, but small enough (and cheap enough) to surface mount and not break the bank.

I keep signing up to win a Onkyo TX-NR1030 at HomeTheaterForum and AVS, but so far have just one an Atmos blu-ray. That would get me even further down the road. It would need a separate 2 channel amp to get to the 7.2.4 setup that I would like, and may not get DTS:X, so maybe just a quick resale and wait.

Right now, I am excited to go to CEDIA this fall again, where I am sure that there will be a lot of DTS:X demos, and instead of spending about 8 hours on the show floor, I plan to have even more time for demos and such. Then when products start to flow for 2016, I will look more into a receiver upgrade. I would love to get 11 powered "channels" into a single receiver for a "reasonable" price. I know, if I start getting amps, then it gets a lot more flexible down the road... Just the upfront cost is a bit steep.

So I am excited about DTS:X. Hopefully I will be as blown away by the demos at CEDIA 2015 as I was about the Atmos demos last year.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #414425 09/11/15 05:10 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
So my latest project in the theater actually started last October... I bought all of the materials and put some holes in the side of my house... Then I did nothing with it until last weekend and then finished up phase 1 tonight.

In my theater it gets warm pretty easy if we don't start the room like an icebox before hand. Not hard in summer if we crank the A/C and freeze out the whole house, but it could be better, and with the theater in the basement, it is well insulated in winter and tends to get actually warmer faster with just 3-4 people, let alone if there are other people over. With no A/C in winter, it is just really uncomfortable.

So I could go with a $1500 ductless A/C unit, but those are ugly and pricey. So are second A/C units (that actually can work in winter). So I went a touch old-school.

I basically now can suck in outside air into the home theater and blow it straight out of the front false wall.

So now in winter, I can turn on the blower and blow below freezing air right into the room to chill it quickly.

I basically have the following starting from the outside:
Exterior Vent (in a hole in the side of the house)
Flexible Insulated Duct (about 6 feet of it)
A Back Draft Damper (that shuts when the blower isn't on)
A DIY filter box that holds a 10" x 20" HVAC filter
Flexible Insulated Duct (about 2 feet)
Panasonic FV-20NLF1 WhisperLine 240 CFM In-Line Fan
Flexible Insulated Duct (about 11 feet)
A 4" x 12" HVAC Boot With Built In Hangers (to attach it in place)
A 4" x 12" Vent Cover (painted black, and I removed the sliding part that allows you to open/close it since it won't be needed.

It is installed on a shelf with the filter box and blower both up on rubber vibration dampening "feet". The shelf also has dampening material between the brackets and the shelf.
I put a front piece of shelving on it to box it in like a soffit, but am using friction and industrial Velcro to hold it in place in case I need to do anything with it. I also stuffed both ends with insulation to keep sound in.

It is pretty quiet, and during most movies you would never hear it at full speed, but I wanted to be able to control it and make it quieter if need be. So I picked up a 3-speed fan controller. You know, the "old school" dial type that has Off, Low, Med, High... Cost me $12, plus a box and faceplate for safety. I added that tonight and currently have it set on Medium. When playing even soft music at a low level, you can't hear the blower at all. This is attached to the side of the blower, so to change it I will have to take down the screen and the front face of the "soffit" to adjust it, but it should be a "Set it and forget it" type of thing.

I also added a remote controlled (RF) power outlet, so I can turn it on/off without having a physical switch visible. That works slick. I wish that it was IR so that I could use it with my Harmony One, but this won't get used THAT much, so for those few times it will be fine to have a separate remote.

So that is Phase 1.

Phase 2 is to run a new "fresh air" (passive this time) duct to my furnace room so that I can do Phase 3.

Phase 3 is to take the ducting from the current passive "fresh air supply" for the furnace room and turn it into an air return in the back of the home theater. Right now I have a really REALLY large computer fan up in a hole in the ceiling just blowing air up, along the gap between the joists/basement ceiling/upstairs floor over to the furnace room. I would rather have an actual air return so that in summer I can pull warm air out with the A/C pumping in. As it currently exists, the fan isn't a whole lot better (but it is better) than when I had nothing to relieve incoming air pressure.

Phase 4 (and I hope that I don't need to do this) would be to install an "exhaust duct" that blows air outdoors from the room (opposite of what I did for phase 1. My fear is that if I pump in a lot of outside air I will end up with positive pressure elsewhere in the house and just make everything "wonky."

Anyway, here are some pictures.

Here is a picture in the midst of the project. Nice and messy. You can see my DIY filter box up on the shelf.

Everything tidy and put away. I might add some acoustically absorptive material to this new "soffit" but have to see how the audio sounds first to see if it needs it.

Back to normal:

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Page 78 of 95 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 94 95

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082