axiomite
Hope you'll stay BBIBH.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Re: Factory outlet buying
#36166 03/09/04 07:16 PM
shareholder in the making
OK, I'm getting on my soapbox here. This is nuts! We all know we disagree on things (right, BigWill? :-), but the amount of people getting up and saying they're leaving or upset or we have a majority tyranny because someone said something they don't like and they don't feel they can say anything back seems to me to be overreacting. Sure, we've got heated discussions. But they're just that, discussions. There's a back and forth. Maybe we just all need to tone down the rhetoric a bit and cool it on the personal insults. (Yes, I mean you, everyone. Incuding me).

That said, I'd rather everyone stuck around. It makes things more interesting and fun around here.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#36167 03/09/04 08:21 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Amen to that!

Ken's right, I think everyone should probably relax a little bit. This is supposed to be a fun hobby and I think this is one of the best boards going. Everyone just gets a little too excited about some of the audio grenades. Bottom line is that this board is a better place for having all the different opinions, whether you agree with them or not! Let's not lose that.

"Chickens don't clap."
#36168 03/09/04 08:24 PM
Thanks for saying that more coherently than I could.

Ken

#36169 03/10/04 02:30 PM
danman Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Do you all think that we could stay on topic here as I am trying to find out information not about peoples ego problems! I am new here and not really impressed so far with the responses concerning the topic at hand.

Please go back and read what I asked in the first place or refer me to a simular topic instead of discussing things that are not important! Will someone at AXIOM respond please. I want to buy speakers not see a psychologist!

#36170 03/10/04 10:20 PM
I refer you to 3 postings in this thread:

" danman

i bought all my speakers from the factory outlet and i'd swear Axiom sent me A models and just gave me a discount. you will NEVER get sub par sounding speakers out of there. In fact, often, finding the flaw can become a struggle.

the bass on M60's is nice and tight but not low like a sub. I'd recommend you get a sub to fully exploit low frequency sounds"
ravi singh

" I echo Ravi. Axiom states there will be no sonic flaws of any kind, so they will perform like A models. Flaws, if any, would be cosmetic, and very slight. I Got M22tis and a VP150 from the outlet. I haven't taken a magnifying glass to them, but I've not found any flaw at all. I'm "changing" (Happy Chess?) from the 22tis to the M60s, and I'm getting those from the Outlet also. I don't think you need be concerned at all."
Ajax

" danman,

Let's get back on topic for you. The M60s provide excellent bass. They will not, however, provide the level of LFE that a good sub will provide. I'm pretty sure I would be hard pressed to take my sub out of the mix ( I have the M60s and an SVS 20-39PCi) now that I have everything calibrated and working together.

If you want to go with the bass on the M60s (rather than the sub) for music, you have some options and would still be able to have the sub available for movies. you could :
1) Turn the sub off for music. You would need to set the front speakers to large.

2) You could control the sub dB level with your remote or receiver and effectively turn it to the minus side such that it doesn't have any volume.

3) Reach behind the sub and adjust the gain up or down to add or remove LFE.

Probably other ideas, but you get the idea.

As far as the quality of the Outlet stock goes, my (pretty extensive) research here on the message board indicates that, without exception, the speakers show up 1) in excellent playing shape and 2) the imperfections are imperceptible or non-existent to the naked eye.

Please consider these speakers because they are excellent. The manner in which this thread was twisted out of shape is uncommon and may have you a bit tweaked. All in good fun and that's one of the reasons I like to wander in here and play in the sandbox. Order with confidence."
Ray3

which answer some of your questions.

If you want to hear from someone at Axiom directly, it's best to email or call them. This forum is mostly for owners, soon-to-be-owners, etc. And yes, we get sidetracked.

#36171 03/11/04 02:02 PM
danman Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Thank you for getting back on track. My goal is to eliminate my sub from music only as I find it annoying sometimes when it goes too low and becomes un-natural. Music in reality does not go that low in real recordings. However, I do enjoy it with DVD's as it makes the effects become more alive.
I realize that the M60's are not going to go as low as any sub for music but their frequency response seems to indicate they are capable of good strong bass and that is what I am looking for. My only concern is that I have never heard them and am a little worried about buying factory outlet models.
I do not like boominess in music so that is what I am getting at I guess. I have been researching Axiom for quite some time now and have yet to read anything truely negative but it is always hard to buy when you can't listen first and I live in an area where there is no way to try them BUT I see that there is also a 30 day return policy that is interesting. I guess I have a lot to think about.

#36172 03/11/04 05:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You'll not get any 'boominess' from a pair of Axiom M60's. But when you say
In reply to:

"I find it annoying sometimes when it goes too low and becomes un-natural. Music in reality does not go that low in real recordings.

I have to disagree. Sounds to me like you've just been using a really crap subwoofer. A good subwoofer is not going to create anything that wasn't there on the CD to begin with. The problem is that so many subwoofers are poorly made, and distort the heck out of that low signal, which creates that horrible boominess you dislike so much. A good subwoofer will recreate those low signals smoothly, and cleanly. Don't short change your listening enjoyment. Get a really good subwoofer, and properly calibrate it. Hsu and SVS are the subwoofer leaders - you can't go wrong with a sub from them.

As far as buying from Axiom's outlet - go for it. I bought nearly all my Axiom's from the outlet and couldn't be happier.

#36173 03/11/04 06:26 PM
danman Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I have been using a PSB subzero it is an 8" woofer and seemed quite good to me and considering all its good reviews I bought it. I did not want something too big since I had the Axioms in mind. You maybe right, but I play a lot of instruments and in reality, drums and bass guitars are drier than what you hear on coloured systems.
As I said, I am not looking for a tower speaker that spits out boominess and I am hoping that the M60 will eliminate a use of a sub for music ONLY!
How do the Axiom subs rate? I do not hear much about them!

#36174 03/11/04 06:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Sounds like the M60's are the speakers for you. Nice tight bass. "Dry" as you call it.

I still think you'd be surprised what a Hsu or SVS would do for your music though.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 957 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup