connoisseur
That leads to two obvious questions...

1. Did you win?

2. What'd you play?

Re: Having Possible Second Thoughts
#38833 03/30/04 08:32 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Just my .02 cents. The Athena bookshelves are fantastic sounding speakers for their intended market; they simply aren't as detailed or precise as my M22's. You'll be extremely happy with your purchase, especially as you have the sub to take care of the M22's lack of low end fortitude.

#38834 03/30/04 10:39 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I do have a sub...a JBL PB10. I think I said earlier that I will not be surprised if I have to upgrade that based on it's musical performance.

Along those lines, I went to COMPUSA during lunch to see if by chance they had an HSU STF-2 on sale for the advertised $350 that everyone's been buzzing about. The online inventory site said that they did not, but I figured I'd blow some lunch time and take a look.

Picture me standing there completely conflicted like a deer in the headlights when I see two of them out in the middle of the aisle w/ a "Blowout $350" sign on top. The reasonable side of me said that I should wait and see how the JBL handles things, but the impulsive side of me said to grab this thing while I can.....a chance to get this for $50 less than HSU direct (shipping washed against the tax). Man, did it ever take a lot for me to turn and walk out of there.

#38835 03/31/04 01:18 AM
axiomite
axiomite
You have far more courage than I. I would have grabbed one for my brother, and simply insisted he pay me back. LOL...

#38836 04/05/04 03:48 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Hey Guys! I've been posting over in the Stereo forum about the new M3ti's I just bought and saw this discussion of the M22's and thought I'd ask a few questions.

I'm not totally happy with the M3s. But, I bought a pair of Athena AS-B2's for comparison and they have some short-comings, too. There are traits that I like about each of the brands. If only I had something in the middle.

I've heard it mentioned that the M22's are lacking in the bass department. One of the Axiom techs even mentioned it. But, I'm am not in need of big, booming bass; and I do want clear, crisp mids and highs. I'm wondering if the M22's might not be the answer I'm looking for.

Of course, I was hoping not to be spending more than the cost of the original speakers on this project ($275), so I'm wondering if can get by without a sub using the M22s. Otherwise, there is the feared Domino Effect: More and larger speakers, a new receiver, a new TV, a surround system, a new condo with a full floor devoted to my new system, a new SUV to transport the equipment..............where does it end?

And all I wanted was couple of bookshelf speakers! Any thoughts?

#38837 04/05/04 04:09 AM
axiomite
axiomite
PM,
If the M3s are not 'clear' enough for you in the high end, i would certainly sugget the M22s. They do not have much bass, many bookshelf speakers don't, nor should they unless they can encompass a large driver to compensate for their smaller enclosures (although even this is limiting).
The M22s should be about the clearest sounding speaker that Axiom has.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#38838 04/05/04 04:22 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Hello pewterman. I have the M22s and a fairly cheap sub (10" dayton from partsexpress). With any bookshelf speaker you are going to miss some bass. I love my M22s and usually turn my receiver to stereo mode (this sends everything below 80hz to my sub) when listening to music, but I don't always. There are times that I forget and don't miss it. That often depends on the music of course.
If you want 'clear, crips mids and highs' you will most likely NOT be disappointed in the M22s (there is a first for everything! .
I wish I could calm your fears about the Domino Effect. However, it got me by the short and curlies when I started upgrading. Now I keep telling myself there is no reason to get a better TV since I don't even have cable (and i'd rather spend that money towards a new laptop ...power book or alienware....the dilemas!).

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#38839 04/05/04 06:51 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
PM, as I said in a previous reply, the highs would be essentially identical, but if the clarity is actually more of a midrange issue, then the M22s would suit you better(as they do me). I ordinarily use the M22s without a sub and yes, you can definitely get by without one for nearly all music which doesn't contain much extremely low bass. Yet another alternative would be the M2s with the same mids and highs but significantly less bass than the M22s. An inexpensive sub such as the Dayton which JR uses(a little over $100)could be combined with them.

However, you should have no fear; we stand ready to advise you on the new condo and SUV.

Last edited by JohnK; 04/05/04 06:52 AM.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#38840 04/12/04 06:45 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
OK....I've concluded that the factory outlet route is sadistic....it leaves you to second-guess your decision to oblivion. Yes, I'm at it again. This time, it's another set of Athenas.

I was blissfully comfortable with my decision to avoide the Athena AS-B2s and stick w/ my M22 decision. Then, I see on AVS Forum that the AS-F2s are on sale for $199 (originally $299). Now, I've got that voice inside my head saying that I could get a pair of those for a bit more than the M22s. I may sacrifice the clarity, but I'll get that big full floor-standing sound.

So, today during lunch, I ran over to Best Buy to give these things a listen. I was actually able to convince the better half to come an listen with me. She may not enjoy it very much, but she's actually pretty particular about the sound when you can get her there. The good news is that we both found the mid-range to be lacking on these things, which was suprising. We actually hopped from room to room to compare all of the different large floor-standers. We both agreed that the best sounding pair was the "special order" JBLs.

So, it looks like I avoided another bout with that little voice. The only interesting thing is that I am now beginning to get some concern that the wife is actually going to be disappointed w/ the M22s. She really likes that full/large sound.....she balked at all iterations of the bookshelves that BB had to offer. Me thinks that this may be an opportunity to discuss further and perhaps upgrade order to M60s.

#38841 04/12/04 07:09 PM
veteran
veteran
Well i for one have the Mi22's an love them i have a Radio Shack 100 watt Sub LMAO Hush u all i know it is weak but for now it will do me but the MI22's need a Sub if u have one then u are set the Mids an high's are great but if u can see who in your area has teh 60's or the 22's an go listen i am sure if someone would b in ur area they would let u Audition them. I have been to Best Buy also an nothing they have holds a Candle in the Mids to high Dept they jus don't sound as good as the 22's maybe more Bass but is it good Bass ? getcha a Good quality Sub an in my opinion u will b happy an Wifey will b happy also, but hey if she agrees to the 60's lol go for it

If You Are Gonna Do It , Do It Right !!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,482
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters