AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
4 registered (Ken.C, brwsaw, bridgman, richeydog), 162 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13323 Members
11 Forums
22900 Topics
404652 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17782
pmbuko 16280
SirQuack 13337
CV 11208
MarkSJohnson 10904
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 The first review of the LFR880s is out! "If you are adding or upgrading stere...

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#389695 - 02/12/13 09:33 PM Bryston
Socketman Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Whitehorse YT
So I decided to check out Brystons website last nite eek I was looking at the SP3, that is until I found out the price a mere 7300.00 ouch and no room correction. Then I came across the the Model T which appears similar to the LFR's , which led me to the Model T mini. The Bryston name really elevates the prices of a Axiom made speaker.Nice looking speaker though, would love to hear one. Too bad axiom doesn't go this route.

$2500 for a 3 way are you kiddin me. I wouldn't pay that for a real 3 Way wink grin

#389697 - 02/12/13 09:40 PM Re: Bryston [Re: Socketman]
tomtuttle Offline
axiomite

Loc: Tacoma
I don't understand in what way it's "too bad Axiom doesn't go this route"

You want them to make more expensive speakers?

If you're talking about a small 3 way, Ian has tested all manner of driver configurations over the years, and I trust that if he could produce something "better" than an M22 in a similar form factor, he would.

#389698 - 02/12/13 09:49 PM Re: Bryston [Re: Socketman]
Socketman Offline
connoisseur

Good sound can come from many configurations and box designs. The Bryston just looks classier, as one would expect for an upscale brand. And honestly I don't like the white drivers, there I said it grin They have to look as good as they sound.

#389699 - 02/12/13 11:43 PM Re: Bryston [Re: Socketman]
INANE Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
I don't think Axiom make the sexiest speaker in the world but the one in the picture above is no better.

#389728 - 02/14/13 08:45 AM Re: Bryston [Re: Socketman]
BlueJays1 Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Porch,enjoying Bombay Sapphire
Originally Posted By: Socketman
So I decided to check out Brystons website last nite eek I was looking at the SP3, that is until I found out the price a mere 7300.00 ouch and no room correction. Then I came across the the Model T which appears similar to the LFR's , which led me to the Model T mini. The Bryston name really elevates the prices of a Axiom made speaker.Nice looking speaker though, would love to hear one. Too bad axiom doesn't go this route.

$2500 for a 3 way are you kiddin me. I wouldn't pay that for a real 3 Way wink grin

According to Bryston they are not the same midrange and bass drive units that are in Axiom models - improved driver material (less cone resonances than aluminum) and robust motor structures. The bass drivers are 8". Not to mention it has a different cabinet and would have a different crossover. All in all it is a different speaker.

Nice looking speaker too.

-Max Payne

#389739 - 02/14/13 12:11 PM Re: Bryston [Re: Socketman]
dakkon Offline
connoisseur

they have axiom make custom drivers for the speakers. The drivers in the Model T's are not off the shelf axiom drivers... there is a model T thread on the audiocircle forum, and James goes into a little detail on what changes were made to the drivers... the Bryston cabinets are of a more complicated design as well, so manufacturing costs will be slightly higher... The Bryston fit and finish will likely be superior to Axiom's. This comes at a significant cost....

Keep in mind Axioms philosophy when comparing their product to others, even Bryston.. Axiom is a value product.. through and through.

#389749 - 02/14/13 03:44 PM Re: Bryston [Re: dakkon]
Socketman Offline
connoisseur

Originally Posted By: dakkon
they have axiom make custom drivers for the speakers. The drivers in the Model T's are not off the shelf axiom drivers... there is a model T thread on the audiocircle forum, and James goes into a little detail on what changes were made to the drivers... the Bryston cabinets are of a more complicated design as well, so manufacturing costs will be slightly higher... The Bryston fit and finish will likely be superior to Axiom's. This comes at a significant cost....

Keep in mind Axioms philosophy when comparing their product to others, even Bryston.. Axiom is a value product.. through and through.

Yup , all that is true . I have followed along at audio circle and I know this was a special project that James has done with axiom. I think axiom could have done a upscale line easily. They did make the LFR's which aren't exactly inexpensive. There seems to be plenty of people here that jump on the upgrade wagon when a new and improved model is released (myself included). As for the price, I suppose R&D has to be figured in as well. Still think it is a classy looking speaker, just out of my reach. grin

#389753 - 02/14/13 07:22 PM Re: Bryston [Re: Socketman]
cohesion Offline
local

Loc: Maple, Ontario, Canada
With all respect to Bryston I think most of the 'differences' amount to marketing and product differentiation. There aren't really off the shelf Axiom drivers - Ian makes them as he likes them!

#389754 - 02/14/13 08:35 PM Re: Bryston [Re: Socketman]
dakkon Offline
connoisseur

There is a lot more to the Model T's as far as the size of the cabinet ect. they are much larger speakers..

However, i think the LFR's are a better value.. Which is why i bought them....

#389759 - 02/14/13 10:06 PM Re: Bryston [Re: Socketman]
Socketman Offline
connoisseur

Looking at the Model T ,they really aren't like the LFR's they don't have the extra drivers on the back. The have internal and external passive crossover as well as a multi amp active crossover. Your right they are huge and must be damn heavy with a 1.5 inch thick front baffle. Sometimes I really hate living in the sticks. LOL . I would love to be able to audition some of these speakers as well as some other brands for comparison. C'mon lottery .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.