Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A/V receiver specs question?
#390501 03/02/13 05:41 AM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I know I'm asking lots of questions lately..sorry

This is in regards to buying a new receiver

1) Speaker Crossover Settings, what's best: Global or Independent? I've JUST joined the "new age" of HT about 6 months ago, only reading and scouring the internet, and I'd guess independent would be better?

2) I'm debating hard between a Marantz SR5007 and a Pioneer SC-61...STILL. lol Personally, I'm leaning towards Pioneer's sound. I just like it a bit better. But not a LOT better. I'm a tweaker. I love tweaking settings, so Pioneer's MCACC would be a good fit for someone like me.

But I'm also told you can't EQ/adjust levels of subwoofers with MCACC. The audyssey the Marantz is equipped with does this very well I've read. Is this very important? Is there any way I can do this with the Pioneer(even if I have to buy some other piece of equipment like a SPL meter)?

And which would you pick if it was you and why?

edit: my planned subwoofer is a SVS pb13-ultra which has EQ built in should I need to mess with it. Would I be able to still make it blend nicely without the Pioneer's features?

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57
Re: A/V receiver specs question?
Mad_Chesser #390505 03/02/13 06:39 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I didn't know independant was an option until recently. If I was upgrading I would choose to go this route.
Having that much more control just makes sense, especially if your speakers
have different capabilities.

brwsaw #390506 03/02/13 06:41 AM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Originally Posted By: brwsaw
I didn't know independant was an option until recently. If I was upgrading I would choose to go this route.
Having that much more control just makes sense, especially if your speakers
have different capabilities.

What's the difference? The elite has global, the Marantz has independent.

I've seen some of the menu screen on the SC-57. My dad has messed around with setting speakers to small and large, set the lfe crossover at 80hz, but that's all I really remember.

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57
Mad_Chesser #390507 03/02/13 07:03 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
My Yamaha is "global", all 9 speakers share the same cross over. The cross over of my least capable pair.
If all my speakers were worth keeping it wouldn't matter but...

Mad_Chesser #390508 03/02/13 07:15 AM
shareholder in the making
Nick, independent crossover settings for each group of speakers is generally a very desirable feature. It could be argued though, that if all the speakers have similar bass extension and aren't in positions where the room affects their bass much differently that a global setting is adequate.

No well-designed receivers have an inherent "sound"; it's features such as tone controls and room EQ which change the sound.

All auto-setup systems adjust the level of all speakers and the sub so as to be uniform at the listening position. Room EQ is separate from calibration for levels and there the Pioneer is unacceptable in my view because of its lack of provisions for the sub. This more than outweighs for me the flexibility in other areas with MCACC which allows the user to screw up the sound. I would choose an Onkyo or Denon(Marantz is simply an overpriced Denon)receiver with the highest grade of Audyssey which the budget would allow.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #390509 03/02/13 07:31 AM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Thanks for all the great info john. Though I disagree with a few things.

I do believe it can be a good thing to have the "ability" to "screw" up the sound through mcacc. Making mistakes and trying new things is the only true way to get very good at something. Sound is very subjective and there is no true "right" way settings need to be inputed.

From experience with many amps I can confidently say there is definitely a difference between amps without eq, running in direct mode. Most notably, the difference between class a/b amps vs class d. I'm confident my ear can tell the difference blindfolded.

On that note, though both are the same company, and the similarities are many, marantz and denon share SOME different qualities, besides price.

I definitely appreciate your advice and with it, im now leaning towards a marantz. Audyssey seems very capable.

The floor is open tho...id love more opinions

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57
Mad_Chesser #390510 03/02/13 08:42 AM
J
J
Nick, as you are going to be using an external amp you really only need to concern yourself with the features each avr can offer for a given price point. Right now the best bang for the buck IMO is Onkyo. It appears to me that Denon has dropped its quality in all of their avr's except the flagship 4520 and you can get all of those features for much less in an Onkyo. I haven't had a chance to hear or look over any recent offerings from H/K, Yamaha nor Pioneer. I am intrigued by the latest from Anthem with the MRX series and Outlaw's AV975. I think the 975 would be a home run if they offered ARC or Audyssey on it.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #390511 03/02/13 09:09 AM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Hey thanks for the reply. I've never considered Onkyo after many poor reviews I read. It seems hit or miss. I'll take your advice and look into one though.

Quote:
Nick, as you are going to be using an external amp you really only need to concern yourself with the features each avr can offer for a given price point.

While this is true, there may be a period where I don't have an external(I may be selling it to a friend). I do agree though, my main concern is features(and mainly, room correction and eq features and whatnot).

From what I've read on many forum boards and audio sites so far, excluding Pioneer's MCACC, I'd rather stay away from other manufacturer's "in house" calibration setups. Basically MCACC or Audyssey.

Since I'm mainly going for features, I'd like to hit a decent price range...which is hard because I need pre outs for my power amps. Something I'm realizing is on only the higher models usually.

BTW, I love outlaw amps smile

2 Axiom M80s v3-custom
1 Axiom VP160 v3-custom
2 Axiom QS10HP
2 Cerwin Vega CMX 12's
Pioneer SC-57
Mad_Chesser #390517 03/02/13 03:29 PM
1) you want a receiver with independent settings, most receivers have this setting going back a few years, unless you buy a very cheap model. The auto setup MCACC, Audyssey, etc. will help set the desired setting, it is very simple. You can always adjust after the fact.

2) receivers don't "sound" different, unless your introducing changes to the EQ, Calibration settings, room setup. They are designed to be ruler flat from 20Hz to 20KHz from the factory.

3) if you go with a Pioneer, you can experiment with subwoofer placement, and adjust the dB levels manually with SPL meter from Radio Shack or similar. The Sub Crawl can help you dial in the proper location.

ps: I also love Outlaw smile

Last edited by PorterPlex; 03/02/13 03:30 PM.
Mad_Chesser #390526 03/02/13 10:26 PM
local
local
Honestly the 'room correction' systems may not be as important as you think. Have you got a sound system in your room already? How is the sound?

No system can truly correct for poor room acoustics. The best they can do is mask some of the worst symptoms using equalization. A better approach would be to fix the underlying issues using acoustic treatments. These need not be excessively expensive.

If you go with this approach you can save money by getting a good used receiver or preprocessor that lacks these features but can still produce excellent sound.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters