AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
4 registered (aabouganem, BobKay, jmone, a401classic), 178 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13323 Members
11 Forums
22901 Topics
404657 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17782
pmbuko 16280
SirQuack 13337
CV 11208
MarkSJohnson 10904
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 The first review of the LFR880s is out! "If you are adding or upgrading stere...

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

Page 88 of 103 < 1 2 ... 86 87 88 89 90 ... 102 103 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#391451 - 03/26/13 11:47 AM Re: The Mother of all wood posts! [Re: tomtuttle]
Murph Offline
axiomite

Loc: PEI, Canada
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Very impressive, Mark. I envy your skills, organization and space. I hope and trust that all this sawdustery is bringing you jJoy.

Fixed that for ya Tom.
I expect she avoids the workshop but maybe if he builds her some furniture.

#391537 - 03/29/13 05:22 PM Re: The Mother of all wood posts! [Re: MarkSJohnson]
MarkSJohnson Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Central NH
Just to prove that I screw up (often), here's a problem for which I can't figure out a solution.

I like to put those electric "candles" in the windows over the Holidays. Joyce doesn't. She's concerned that the cat or dog will knock one off the window sill and start a fire or, at the least, get glass in their paws from the broken bulb.

So, this past season, I decided to build a wooden "bracket" that would slide over the edge of the window sill and, if necessary, be screwed into the bottom of the window sill.

So, I checked the thickness of the sills, built a prototype, and tried it on five different windows. Perfect. I bought the wood and setup a little assembly line to make them all. I glued the pieces together. And they didn't fit.

They are made from equal-length pieces of (IIRC) 1X6, 1x2 and 1X4. The 1X2 is the "spacer" that determines how tightly the top and bottom pieces hug the windowsill. And, evidently, the 1X2s I bought and used to build these were not quite as thick as the one in the prototype I built.

Now, I can throw these in the trash and start over. But I also figured I could save these by taking some of the thickness off the area marked in green or the area marked in red.

This is the candle holder shown upside-down:

I tried using a grinder with a sanding disc on the "red" area. But I couldn't get all the way into the corner as needed. I just tried using bench chisels on the green section, but either it was messy going against the grain or, with the grain, I couldn't get the chisel into position.

So.....

Can anyone think of a tool that could "get into the groove" and remove wood from the green section or the red section?

I've been keeping all of these in a bin in my workshop while I try to think of a solution.

As I type this, I'm thinking more and more that I should throw them out and start again.

But there MUST be some tool that could do this???!!!!?? smile

#391538 - 03/29/13 05:24 PM Re: The Mother of all wood posts! [Re: MarkSJohnson]
medic8r Offline
axiomite

Loc: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Beavers. Beavers are good for eating your wood.

#391539 - 03/29/13 05:29 PM Re: The Mother of all wood posts! [Re: MarkSJohnson]
michael_d Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Up yonder
Do you have a M/T jig? If you did, you'd just clamp piece to it, set the distance to the TS blade and rip away. If you don't have a jig, you can sill figure out how to run the piece by the TS blade, keeping it at 90 deg, but not pinching the work between the blade and the fence.

#391540 - 03/29/13 05:37 PM Re: The Mother of all wood posts! [Re: MarkSJohnson]
Ken.C Offline

Loc: NoVA
Yeah, that's probably how I'd go about it, albeit not as carefully as I should. You should be able to get the red part easily that way.

#391546 - 03/29/13 07:55 PM Re: The Mother of all wood posts! [Re: MarkSJohnson]
MarkSJohnson Offline

I DO have one Michael! I'll have to take a look at that option in the morning! Thanks!!

#391556 - 03/29/13 10:29 PM Re: The Mother of all wood posts! [Re: MarkSJohnson]
St_PatGuy Offline
axiomite

Loc: Glendale, Arizona
Wow, Mark, that is awesome!!

#391557 - 03/29/13 10:31 PM Re: The Mother of all wood posts! [Re: MarkSJohnson]
Ken.C Offline

Loc: NoVA
Mike, do you mean that you shouldn't use the fence at all, or just be careful that your fence is properly at 180° to the blade so you avoid binding?

#391561 - 03/30/13 09:10 AM Re: The Mother of all wood posts! [Re: MarkSJohnson]
CatBrat Offline
axiomite

Loc: Milky Way Galaxy
Saw evenly through the center piece, and glue in a thin extender piece of something. Wood, plastic maybe.

Then put on some Rolling Stones music and paint it black.

#391563 - 03/30/13 09:31 AM Re: The Mother of all wood posts! [Re: MarkSJohnson]
MarkSJohnson Offline

That's actually a good idea. Cat. I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to see how small the nails are that I used, but an old blade that goes through nails safely might do the trick if they were small-gauge pins.

Page 88 of 103 < 1 2 ... 86 87 88 89 90 ... 102 103 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.