Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 80 of 87 1 2 78 79 80 81 82 86 87
Re: So who did ya see in concert last night?
medic8r #397852 10/15/13 06:07 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
What I've learned here is that bacon cures awkward.

Mrs. Tuttle and I went to the Austin City Limits Festival!

Probably the best part (for me) was getting to hang out with Mr. and Mrs. Samandnoah. There really is no end to the love and friendship that this forum has brought into my life.

We saw enough of the following to matter over the course of three days (the first weekend).

Asleep at the Wheel
Desert Noises
Court Yard Hounds
Jimmy Eat World
Fun.
The Black Angels
Vampire Weekend
Queens of the Stone Age
Depeche Mode
Lissie
Portugal. The Man.
Vintage Trouble
Passion Pit
Kings of Leon
The Stapletones
The McCrary Sisters
Franz Ferdinand
White Denim
Shinyribs
Phoenix
Atoms for Peace

I was going to write mini-reviews, but I just don't have it in me today. Overall, I was not very familiar in advance with very much of the music we saw/heard, and it had been a really long time since I had "festival experience" and never of this scope. I'll admit to some crowd fatigue at times, but the opportunity to experience this much, diverse, live, performance art in such a short time was tremendously satisfying.

A lot of the newer music that my kids like (Portugal, Passion Pit, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, Franz Ferdinand) just wasn't really my cup of tea. It didn't come across as engaging or original, nor did I connect with the performances on a human level. Perhaps I would have a deeper appreciation with extended listening to the studio versions, but I seriously doubt I'll give myself the chance.

Some of the artists (QOTSA, White Denim, Atoms for Peace, Black Angels) were a little too heavy and/or psychedelic for me given my lack of familiarity.

Some of the smaller acts and smaller stages were really great experiences. We really enjoyed Desert Noises, Shinyribs, Stapletones and Vintage Trouble. Fun music, enthusiastic performances and definite connections with the audience.

Of the big acts, I was really pleasantly surprised by Depeche Mode (of whom I was not really a "fan"), Fun (which I feared was overplayed to death) and Kings of Leon. KOL aren't great "performers", but the music really restored my faith in rock and roll. Fun puts on a very good show.

MANY great moments connecting with people and art. Absolutely one of the best musical experiences of my life.

ACL Fest was awesome. I would go again.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
medic8r #397853 10/15/13 06:21 PM
medic8r Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Awesome, Tom!

I would have been looking forward to the Jimmy Eat World, Phoenix, and Passion Pit shows the most. My favorite Phoenix video is this one. I like the lighting effects. It paradoxically cured my epilepsy.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #397855 10/15/13 07:21 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Isn't "Awesome Tom!" the name of the Negative Orange cover band that didn't make the cut for this year's ACL Festival?

medic8r #397856 10/15/13 07:50 PM
medic8r Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I don't know, but I'll bet CV's got the blue cowboy hat and spurs to prove it!

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #398020 10/21/13 11:44 AM
buff
buff
Caught Zappa Plays Zappa doing they're 40th anniversary tour of "Roxy & Elsewhere".

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Amazing band. Six players. Female player that did sax, flute, harmonica, keys, and sang. Other main singer played trumpet, trombone and the odd bit with a guitar. Drummer, bass, Dweezil on guitar, and another guy playing keys and various other analog sound generators. They did a great job covering all the parts that a typical Zappa show would have done with more bodies.

Played the entire Roxy & Elsewhere album ("just like a penguin in bondage boing") in their first set and some other selections in the second including The Black Page (both just drums and the embellished version), Muffin Man, Cosmic Debris, Duke of Prunes, I Come From Nowhere (and amazingly the singer managed to sing it the same way) + more that elude me at the moment.

Missed them last time they came through. Will definitely catch them next time as well.

Semper ubi sub ubi.
ArthurC #398803 11/23/13 11:03 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Went to NIN (Nine Inch Nails) in Vancouver last Thursday night. I have never seen NIN before. It was an amazing 2 plus hours of blinding light/special effects and sound. They played a lot of the new cd and the older favourites. Looking forward to the Blu-ray issue of this tour.

medic8r #398817 11/24/13 07:03 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Going to see Stuart Maclean hosting the Vinyl Cafe on Monday.
Kids got me tickets for Christmas.
Gotta love those stories about Dave.

For the non-Canadians:
http://www.cbc.ca/vinylcafe/

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #398844 11/24/13 11:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Say hi to Dave for me.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Rock_Head #398850 11/25/13 01:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Rock_Head
Went to NIN (Nine Inch Nails) in Vancouver last Thursday night. I have never seen NIN before. It was an amazing 2 plus hours of blinding light/special effects and sound. They played a lot of the new cd and the older favourites. Looking forward to the Blu-ray issue of this tour.

JEALOUS!!

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
medic8r #398851 11/25/13 01:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Although I had a great time at my friends CD launch party Saturday night for the "Plain Dirty Blues Band." A packed house and I got to see lots of familiar faces I hadn't seen in years.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 80 of 87 1 2 78 79 80 81 82 86 87

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters