Print Thread
Rate Thread
Sub placement- help please!
#44359 05/03/04 06:30 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hi everybody,

I've just moved to a new condo and I'm struggling to make my sub work the way it should. Below is the schema describing a very standard way of speakers placement.
I tried to setup the sub in both direct firing and various angle positions.
The problem is the same - when I have barely enough bass at my listening position, a HUGE amount of LF is directed to the left - to my neighbors. And I don't want to make them notice my move in this way. The bass just sounds MUCH louder when you are located on the same axis with the speakers. The wall on the right from the sub is made of brick, the one behind the sub is probably not (I'm not sure though). Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Dmitry.

<-------- | L | - | TV | - | R | - | Sub |
too much
bass

||
|| no bass
\/

___________| listening position |_____________

Re: Sub placement- help please!
#44360 05/03/04 06:55 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hi Dmitry, welcome.

Alan has a unique method for resolving potential room mode problems.

You basically position the subwoofer at the listening position, play some good sample material, and then crawl around on the floor until you find a place where the bass sounds good. Then, you put the subwoofer at that spot and move your furniture back.

Given your description, it sounds like a room interaction problem that might be solved in the manner above. Many people have also experienced success by moving the sub very close to the listening position.

What kind of main speakers and receiver are you using? Are there any potential issues with crossover and/or the setting for small/large?

Let us know how it goes.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#44361 05/03/04 06:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
One common method of seeking good sub placement, is to place the sub (properly connected, of course) where you will be sitting, play something that puts out a lot of good bass, and then crawl around the room with your ears at the approximate height of the sub, until you find the spot where you get the best bass response. That's where you should place the sub. I've not tried this method myself, as I have visions of my sub ending up right in front of the closet door . But that's what many, including some sub manufacturers recommend.

Rats! Second place again! And this time to Tacoma Tom. Oh the ignominy of it all.

Last edited by Ajax; 05/03/04 07:01 PM.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#44362 05/03/04 07:51 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks a lot everyone,
I’ll follow your advice and let you know about the results!
My current setup totally stinks, but I already have an approval of the higher authority and budget from the finance department (managed by the same higher authority, guess who) on purchasing a decent set of speakers and AVR (which will probably mean either m60s or Monitor Audio S6 + HK AVR-3xx or Marantz SR-5xxx). I just wanted to explore the new room’s characteristics first and I’m glad I’ve done that. I don’t think it’s a crossover issue since my mains are set to small and the lowest frequency my old Pioneer has for crossover is 100Hz.

I’m just worried that after I buy new speakers (which I’m planning to use without a sub most of the time since my priority is music) I’ll have the same problems with the LF emitted by the speakers.

Regards,
Dmitry.

#44363 05/03/04 08:07 PM
shareholder in the making
Just a note on the receivers, I think you'll find the H/K 4, 5, or 6 lines to be more comparable to the Marantz 5x00 series. You can usually get pretty good prices on refurbed H/Ks (better than the refurb Marantzs, generally).

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#44364 05/04/04 12:00 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Yeah, but HK 430 refurbished on EBay costs as new Marantz SR-5400 (at Cambridge Soundworks you can get 15% off the list price which drives the final price of a new 5400 to ~ $470, which I guess is reasonable. Plus I have a local store in a close proximity. Decisions, decisions...

#44365 05/04/04 12:32 AM
Dmitry, the sub generally should be located in the tighter(farthest from large openings)corner behind the mains and crossed over at 80Hz. The level of bass in relation to the other speakers should be adjusted by the bass level controls on the sub and/or receiver, not by changing the position of the sub.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#44366 05/04/04 03:12 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Not sure if this helps any or not, but I have mine in the corner positioned behind my couch. I find in my HT room, it works better there then up front. Just a suggestion or idea for ya.

Sutter Cane

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,949
Posts442,507
Members15,619
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters