Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
Re: GOT MY TRACKING NUMBERS!!!
#45061 05/06/04 10:31 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

I must request that we stay out of the political waters...

PLEASE! And I humbly request that we try to avoid insulting each others country. There's too much ammunition on both sides.

Well, I'm assuming John's speakers arrived since he seems to be still missing in action. Wish I could watch.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#45062 05/06/04 10:34 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
not to mention targets. And Wal-Marts.

#45063 05/07/04 12:09 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
bigjohns absence is probably explained by the tree he is sitting in at the end of his driveway with binoculars, a six-pack and a fresh (or possibly not so fresh) Depends watching for the Fed Ex truck. God help the driver - he likely hasn't seen a Texas man-mountain avalanche up close before. John may just leap from the tree to the top of the truck and rip it completely off.

#45064 05/07/04 03:33 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
HULK SMASH!

#45065 05/07/04 01:02 PM
aficionado
aficionado
i'll bite my tongue as this could get really nasty. this is a fun board and wish to keep it that way.
dan

#45066 05/07/04 01:42 PM
B
bigjohn Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
B
morning everyone.. i am tired..

quick report.. i had to drive out to the airport and pick up the speakers when i got off work yesterday.. no biggie. i was just glad they didnt leave them on the porch all day. the boxes were in gr4at condition, only a few tears where the 'handle holes' are.. drove home, fast,and started busting open boxes. initial inpression, the M60's seemes small, the 150 was huge, and the QS8's were pretty big, and heavy for such a small speaker.. i assume the reason I thought the M60's were small, cause i was comparing them to my Cerwin Vegas that are twice as wide, just as tall, and a few inches deeper.. the custom finish was beautiful, i closely inspected each speaker under a bright light, and could find absolutely no flaws.. the screens look great, although, i thought they were a little flimsy.. i had already pulled the entertainment center(EC) out from the wall, but all my 'old' equipment was still in place. NOTE-you guys mentioned me "on my knees, pluging in wires".. sort of.. my receiver is held in the top of my EC, so i was actually on my feet, arms stetched up, plugging in wires.. anyway-i just wanted a quick listen to the speakers before i had to start pu;;ing all my old equip out of the EC, so i hooked them up.. i was a little baffled by the wire connections. at first, i tried to 'wrap' the bare speaker wire around the post, then screw the deal down on it.. put in a cd, it started to play, and the sound was weak, and cut off when i put some power to it.. i turned everything off, and went back to the speaker wires and undone the screw.. noticed there was a hole in the speaker connect terminal, stuck the wire in the hole, then screwed down the deals.. problem solved.. i played a few cd's.. fleetwood mac 'rumors', dixie chicks 'home', rush 'moving pictures', tool 'undertow', allison krauss 'live', and a guitar sampler. i was impressed by the clarity and dispersion of the sound. now you gotta realize, my huge hulking EC was in the middle of the listening area, along with, boxes, a chair, coffee table, 36 inch tv on the coffee table, etc.... so this wasnt the perfect environment for a test. but i could definitely tell a huge difference in clarity.. i can see how the term' bright' is used a lot. the tweeters were really kickin the highs. an elemnt i was not used to with the vegas. i had to turn the volume knob a lot higher with the axioms than i had to with the vegas to get the same amount of 'loudness', but the clearness was very good(is clearness a word?).. i only had time to listen to a few songs from each of those cd's and it was time for my son to go to bed, so shannon made me turn it down. at low volumes, it was still very pleasant. i had to shut it off, and begin the process of pulling out all the old equip, and putting in the new.. not to mention, cleaning a ridiculious amount of dust from the belly of my EC.. it had collected up pretty bad..

anyway, thats where i stand this morning.. the new equip is in the EC, but nothing is hooked up, it is just sitting there. i need to run speaker wire, make all necessary connections between comnponents, mount the QS8's, and push the EC back against the wall.. i should be done by saturday afternoon. my living room looks like a bomb went off in it.. it is a totat mess.. shannon came in from class, and just gasped.. it is really destroyed in there. but, i will get back on it when i get off work today, and make it right. i am excited to hear the axioms with a good receiver, the onkyo 701, and with the sub. and with my pioneer 563a. i think it will be spectacular.

sorry this si so randon.. i am in a hurry this morning.. be looking this weekend for questions from me as fas as with instillation, and yall have a good day. i aint gonna proof read this thing cause i am in a hurry, so it will have a ton of errors, sorry.

oh yea, AMERICA ROCKS.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#45067 05/07/04 01:47 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
I also had Cerwin Vega's (C-7). The M60's did seem a bit bright, but the longer I listened, it became apparent how much clarity there is and how "muddled" the sound was out of the CV-7s.

Keep the updates comin'!

#45068 05/07/04 02:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
So, you listened to the Axioms using your OLD equipment. I'll be interested to see if you hear any difference with the NEW stuff. Probably not, but I'll be interested to hear if you do.

Don't worry about errors, John. Just feed us the info.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#45069 05/07/04 03:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
John - I'm just imagining Shannon's face when she walked in to the living room, to see is totally destroyed. She was probably seeing your old speakers, your new speakers and the boxes, and was thinking, "O - sh*t!"

I know that is what my wife would say. I'm so excited for you. Mayeb you'll grace us with some pics on Monday...

#45070 05/07/04 04:07 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hey guys, bigjohn went to WORK today! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! I'll bet they're getting good value from you today - not!

Regarding the loudness issue, you will likely have no long term concerns. Your receiver will have plenty of power. Not only that, but also the *perceived* loudness of the CV's was greater because of all that bloated bass they were producing. The Axiom bass is tighter, flatter and more accurate, so you'll likely not perceive them as being as Loud. I forget - do you have a sub?

So, you've had possession of the speakers for over 14 hours now, and we still have no pictures? I thought you liked us. Sniff.

I'm excited for ya, bigjohn. Thanks for sharing your experience.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020