Haven't noticed this review posted yet.

Not the most favorable I've read...

>http://www.audaud.com/audaud/MAY04/component/comp1.html

Cheers, mike

Re: Another Axiom review
#47126 05/27/04 04:26 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hmmm, sounds like this guy already had a pre-defined view of what a speak should be...

In reply to:

My hesitation about the larger model related to the dual tweeter placement—that is, on opposite sides of the speaker. This goes contrary to what I would expect to see in a correctly-designed speaker

(that was in reguards to the VP150)

Also, don't think I've EVER read this about an Axiom speaker before

In reply to:

The Axiom had a softened high frequency response in comparison with the Paradigms, and although the midrange was not as hard sounding as with the Paradigm, there seemed to be a sacrifice in definition—also described in my notes as relaxed/depressed.

#47127 05/27/04 04:41 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

also described in my notes as relaxed/depressed

Hmmm... maybe his Axioms were on Prozac?

Bren R.

#47128 05/27/04 05:04 AM
M
MykeW Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
M
My thinking also.
In reply to:

The VP-150 center channel was well matched with the M60ti front speakers, but the compromise towards softened high frequencies give me some pause.

Say what? Any critisms I've ever heard have been in the complete opposite direction. ie: b****t.
Something seems amiss. Perhaps he's got some funny equilization going on there or odd room acoustics.

In reply to:

Normally, when I think of buying an expensive product through mail order, I associate my purchase with a monetary savings in comparison to a locally available product, or the possibility of obtaining a better product for the same money. In the case of the Axiom speaker system, I could not establish this relationship.

I'd like to know what those alternatives would be? 1 year of looking I haven't seen anything comparable.

Oh well, its always interesting reading contrary opinions.

Cheers, Mike

#47129 05/27/04 01:11 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
this review was posted about a month ago on this site. i thought the review was fair, but it was obvious he had some preconceived notions of what to expect.

he kept talking about "slight differences" between the axioms and the paradigms. well, they are different speakers, that makes since. but his perception of sound, and what he considers to be good and bad, will be different from the next guy.

i didnt put a lot of concern or interest into this review the first time i read it, and still dont now.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#47130 05/27/04 02:31 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
This reviewer lost my respect with these three sentences:
"I opened the front speakers first and played music through them for a week or two to break-in."

"I connected both center speakers to the front channels of another system to break them in."

"I connected both center speakers to the front channels of another system to break them in."

Any reviewer that lends credence to long "break in" periods automatically becomes suspect for me. Also, does he not remember if it was one week or two that he allowed for "break in" on the front speakers?

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#47131 05/27/04 03:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Biased review is right.
His mind was made up before he even heard them based on his impression of their colour, 'apparent' build quality and driver orientation. Notch another score for the use of blind tests.

I quit reading after his first paragraphs did nothing but describe his 1000 piece equipment set mostly about his umpteen different audiosnob cable brands followed by this lovely gem of a statement:

"The speakers are fairly heavy, but you can tell where the bracing is by using the knuckle test. Rapping on the top and the middle of the side produced a noticeably different sound than in other places along the cabinet. Surely compromises need to be made given the modest price of the speaker system—I waited until later {which equates to this very moment} to determine how much this affected their sound."

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#47132 05/27/04 06:27 PM
old hand
old hand
Guy IS a LAME
Why WE wasting OUR time paying ANY attention to that self indulging BS?

#47133 05/28/04 12:49 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Practically EVERY professional reviewer in the world "breaks-in" their speakers before they compare them. You must not believe in any professional reviews...

#47134 05/28/04 01:17 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

Practically EVERY professional reviewer in the world "breaks-in" their speakers before they compare them.

Come now player8. That's a rather overly broad declaration.

As far as break-in goes - how does the old saying go? "believe half of what you see and none of what you hear".

I think that "break-in" amongst pro reviewers has become sort of an obligatory "it must be true because someone important once said it " kind of thing.

Perhaps MOST pro reviewers do "break-in" their speakers before reviews but it does not mean that they all believe it.

There are some pro reviewers that I have great respect for but for the majority of them, I don't hold thier word to be gospel.

Kooky as it is, this is just my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions..

Last edited by mwc; 05/28/04 01:44 AM.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,489
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters