Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Please allow me to introduce myself...
#48131 06/04/04 08:58 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
i agree with pmbuko if you do a majority of just stereo or cd listening. start with your left and right fronts, and build from there.

but, if you are into movies, and want the instant gratification of the full 5.1/6.1 surround effect, then i would get the receiver first. even with old/bad speakers, at least with an HT receiver, you will get your first listen to what the DTS/Dolby Digital/Pro logic/etc, decoding can do for dvd.

IMO, it just really depends on what you plan on using the system for the most. i was lucky enough to have been in the position to order it all at the same time, so i cant say that i can relate. but, i am sure you will continue to get advice, and if people disagree with me, or think i am wrong, they will tell you!!

thats my $.02 cents.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#48132 06/04/04 09:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The great thing about today's tech is that with the right speakers, and electronics, you can get full enjoyment from both music AND movies with one system. (Yes, I know many people still have separate systems, myself included - but honestly it's more because of the hobby aspect of this compulsion than true need.)

I got a little foggy when you began describing what you've currently got. At first I thought you had four speakers in one room...but now I'm not sure. Do you have two separate rooms?

What is your goal? If indeed you do have a dedicated room for audio, is that room going to also serve as your HT? (dvd's, TV, etc...?) or is that room going to be without sights...just sounds?

If you have two separate rooms that need upgrading, I'm guessing you have the audio only room, and then the usual livingroom, no?

#48133 06/04/04 11:30 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
My existing setup is:

2 Stereo Receivers (1 for audio, 1 for video)
4 Big-ass stereo speakers in the four corners of the living room wired ONLY to the audio system
Sitting right on top of the two BA stereo speakers on the side of the room that the TV is on, are 2 bookshelf speakers used only by the video receiver
1 Sub-Woofer wired to the "sub woof out" on the DVD player (I know this is unusual)

One of the "issues" now is that I don't have 5.1 (or anything really like it) for video. Just stereo and BASS.

But this all came up because people were talking about how great some classic albums are that have been remixed in 5.1. That made me wonder where I would have to go to convert my existing mess to modern standards and take advantage of 5.1 technology for both my Audio AND Video uses. There's GOT to be some synergy there.

Compared to most people I know I would be considered a VIDEO addict, though I think in HERE I'm probably pretty moderate. But when it comes to music, I'm totally immersed. I do concert promotions, I have a web-radio show, and on and on.

OK, now I'm just rambling. :/

#48134 06/04/04 11:44 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Hiya Jim, I'm a bit late getting here (that annoying work thing). Welcome to the party. Let me reiterate the notion that reading through the forums and absorbing the postings will get you a good leg up. Also, for some balance, go over the AVS Forum (Speaker forum) and the Spot. I had never heard of Axiom until I started wandering through the other 2 forums and that led me here to a place where lunatics are given way to much access to keyboards.

There are two important components you will need to provide 1) room size and 2) budget. bigjohn wasn't far off with his quick & dirty recommendations, but the information on size & $$$ will allow us to provide an avalanche of bad and misleading advice.

Even with all of the research, you will need to embrace the thought that you just can't have too much audio and that you need to get enough stuff to assure that upgradeitis and the "what-if" gremlins don't come to visit. We can help overachieve in this area. Let the choosing and spending begin.

#48135 06/04/04 11:56 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game.....

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#48136 06/05/04 12:01 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

Are you guys SALES scum, or real life CONVERTS?

Nah, this is all just a vast right wing conspiracy and now you've been assimilated.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#48137 06/05/04 12:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
WAY OT. Keep seeing this thread title and all I think of is Austin Powers...

"Allow myself to introduce myself..."

Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 06/05/04 12:26 AM.
#48138 06/05/04 12:34 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Jim, just on the off chance you absorb enough info to get yourself comfortable, ecost (authorized Denomn etailer) has a slug of equipment available here . Search the board on "ecost" and you'll find lotsa happy campers.

The 2803 and 3803 receivers are steals. Likewise the DVD 2200 or 2900. For a 5 disc CD/progressive scan DVD player (with excellent PQ), I picked up a DVM-4800 and it's wonderful.

Might be early in the game for you to make decisions, but the models I mentioned are all mid to top o the line and each is at LEAST half of the original MSRP.

On blind faith, the 2803 and 2200 would be great. the 3803 and 2900 would be better. I hope this is helpful.

#48139 06/05/04 03:04 AM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
OK, the room size is roughly 15 x 24. The TV is along one of the 15 foot walls (if that makes any difference).

I was looking online at BestBuy and they have a Pioneer receiver 5x100watts with Dolby 5.1 for $179. ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077628262859&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03031&skuId=6364846 ) Is there something special I'm looking for besides those basic specs? Is this a decent receiver for what we've been discussing?

#48140 06/05/04 05:04 AM
local
local
Hiya PapaJ. Glad to see you're fitting in already. Welcome to the insanity. As you can tell, the folks around here are a bunch of loons, but boy do we have a great time. With a 15' x 24' room, you have plenty of space to put together a really enjoyable system. First things first (as others have already said) I would come up with a budget of what you have available to spend or you also have the option of putting things together one component at a time. I suppose it also depends on how badly you want to be ready for the release of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway on SACD as well. Anyway, just keep poking around and have fun taking in the plethora of audio info. Oh and there are a few Porcupine Tree fans around here as well as prog fans, so feel free to discuss music anytime. Oh yeah, and make sure you check to see if there are any Axiom owners around you. I'm sure they'd be glad to show off their system for you.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
2 members (Hambrabi, rrlev), 1,074 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup