... I'm a man of... nevermind.

Hi. I'm brand new to this forum (in case you couldn't tell). I was directed here by the fine folks at MikePortnoy.com after asking some basic questions about the state of modern music delivery systems (and video for that matter). I don't want to write a book here, but maybe it'll help to know how dumb I am, before you all help me get smart.

I'm 49 years old, and a life-long music player & lover. But over the years I have been criminally negligent with regards to keeping up with advances in technology in stereo systems. It's odd because I am very up on computer stuff. My home stereo system consists of (as it has for 20 years or so) a component receiver/amp with four stereo speaker outs hooked up to four speakers, placed in the 4 corners of my living room. It sounds good, but not great.

Recently people have started talking about 5.1 and 6.1 and I know absoltely nothing about those other than there are speakers that surround you and that there's a sub woofer and then different types of speakers depending on where they are placed. And that this also seems to be a standard relevant to Video/DVDs.

I guess to start off, can someone direct me to something I can read (I'm not typically a gear head) to bring me up to date on the basic changes that have taken place and where the evolution is heading?

Thanks.