Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
The best way to listening and viewing pleasure?
#49153 06/12/04 11:01 PM
kayizm Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Ok,ok, here goes. I am now building my first(semi)suround sound system. My system is as follows, M80s fronts, VP150 center, QS8s surrounds, no sub. Direct TV PHILIPS Model DSX5353R dss satellite receiver, Sony 43" KP-43HT20 (Thats the next upgrade, a flat screen), Onkyo DV-CP701 6-disc carousel DVD/CD changer, with a Sony SLV-N750 HiFi VCR, all being powered by my just purchased Denon AVR-3805. The question is, for all this equipment, what cableing, i.e.,optical to where, RCA to where, etc.. would be the best hookups for best sound and picture. How would you guys accomplish this.

Re: The best way to listening and viewing pleasure?
#49154 06/13/04 02:44 AM
devotee
devotee
There is more than one way to do this. I would definitely run a digital (optical or coaxial, there's no difference} cable from the receiver to the DVD, and from the satellite receiver to the receiver. What you do with the video signal is less cut and dried. You can run the video directly from the various sources (Satellite receiver, DVD, VCR) all directly to the TV (if it has enough inputs). This simplifies the video signal path, and may result in a better signal. It however complicates switching from source to source because you will have to swith the input of both receiver AND TV to switch between nsources.

The other alternative is to run all the video signals to the 3805 (component better than s-video, better than composite). You will be able to assign each video signal to its audio counterpart in the Denon's setup menu. Then run a single video cable from the receiver to the TV. This means you will never have to change the video input on your TV.

If your TV has component video inputs, then I would use component video cables all around (except for the VCR, which won't have component outputs). If your TV only has S-video, then I would not waste my money getting any component cables, as your video signal will only be as strong as its weakest link.

I'm thinking you will need 2 digital cables (optical or coax, one for the DVD and one for the satellite receiver), 4 S-video cables (unless your TV has component inputs, in which case you will need 3 component cables and 1 S-video) to connect the DVD, satellite receiver and VCR to the receiver, and the receiver to the TV, and a stereo RCA cable to carry sound from the VCR to the receiver. If you want the option to record VHS tapes, then you will need to run another set of s-video/stereo cables from the receiver to the VCR.

You may want to make a second connection from the satellite receiver to the TV. This could be just stereo/composite video or coaxial cable. That way you will be able to watch TV with sound without powering on your entire HT. This is useful for the WAF, as wives are for the most part incapable of divining the proper keystrokes on the remote to turn everything on.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020