Rate Thread
Got my M60s today - initial thoughts
#51921 07/09/04 07:40 AM
ksimple Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hello All,

First of all, I have to say that I haven't been here in a couple of days and was shocked to see all the negativity, even inimical. Is the summer heat frying brain cells? What's with that guy getting threatened? Horrible. Hopefully things will chill out.

I thought I'd post some of my thoughts. As a caveat, I am by no means any kind of expert on audio gear. So, like many I received my babies in 2 days time, which I still can't over. I live in Washington. The Axiom staff has been great with all my questions, etc.

To my slight shock, the first thing I noticed is that the grille colour was incorrect. I ordered the "Natural Maple" veneer, and it looks decent. Upon giving each speaker a look, another irritating thing popped front and center, literally. On every speaker (on both sets) where the vinyl meets the cabinet there are quite visible, jagged cut marks (with the vinyl flaring out) where the knife or other cutting utensil was used to form the hole for the speakers to rest. It is most detracting. I tried for a while to use a dull edge of some tweezers to push it down. I don't know what I'm going to do about this, but here's an easy fix for Axiom in future models: utilize some kind of molding on the outside ring of the woofers/tweeters to cover up the vinyl edges, much like molding around your house carpets. I realize that their design allows for the woofer/tweeter to fit almost flush with the cabinet face, but there are ways around that. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear about them. I just feel like it is a silly flaw in the cabinet treatment.

On to the setup. These speakers are monoliths. They really have a substantial presence. None of the numerous pictures I've seen of the M60s gave them justice. I also guessed that the lighter finish might tone down its scale a bit. Oh, well, bigger is better, no? The spikes supplies are adequate, and came with washers. I'm a hardware nut. I love all connectors and wires. The terminals on the M60s are very nice. My new custom Canare/WBT cables set goes well. Mmmmmm.

I couldn't wait to turn them on, so I just left them in the middle of my room and had to try them. I put on an Emiliana Torrini LP and turned on the power. Nothing but whispers. What the hell?!! Oops, I crossed one of the wires. Cross back, and all is well.

In many of the reviews I've seen on Axiom speakers, prevalent is the term "bright". Well, I actually turned up my treble balance. What was most pleasing to me was how the mids completely opened up compared to my now demoted Wharfedale Atlantic 200s (now playing the role of surrounds). The music sounded that much more inviting. After messing around with placement a bit, I could hear much more concise lows in Ms. Dynamite's LP (a very underrated hip-hop/r&b artist out of England), and some lows I'd never heard at all! Now we're talking.

A few cds later and I was quite pleased with the placement width and angle. I don't know if this is naive, but I assumed that since the Axiom speaker is more than double in size and speaker quantity that the soundstage would be ample. I did not feel that way. I don't really know how else to explain that, since I don't know all the variables, and I think I may have to do some more testing with placement, etc.

My old Pioneer receiver has been a real trooper for me for a couple of years. I got it cheap, and it's served me well. I've been looking for something new for a while, and now I feel I'll have to up my efforts. The rated 100W just doesn't feel like it's giving the M60s a real go. This is just my gut, or maybe me trying to justify more toys, but I think these could shine brighter given more power. I've been looking at the AVR-2805 now, because it's cheaper and has the preouts for an additional amp, which I have not decided upon quite yet. And then there's the cash to buy it all.

I can't wait to rummage through my cd collection tomorrow and crank it up some more. Besides the build quality, I feel like I have a great step in the M60s towards a decent stereo/HT setup. Happy hunting all. Cheers.

Re: Got my M60s today - initial thoughts
#51922 07/09/04 11:29 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
K, were they A-stock, or B-stock from the outlet? That vinyl problem you describe is not normal for A-stock. Give Joe at Axiom a call. I'm sure they would be eager to make you happy.

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
#51923 07/09/04 01:18 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
ksimple-

thanks for your honesty in your impressions.. too many times, i get tired of reading all the gushing accolades over peoples speakers.. not saying they dont deserve accolades, but at least you were specific and concise with your concerns and reservations about their 'problems'. fortunately, my speakers were of fantastic build quality, but i did find the screens to be a little flimsy.. i thought they should have a more sturdy frame.

i am pleased that you are liking their soundstage and quality. that is definitely one place where the axioms have little or no problem impressing the new buyer. keep listening to your cd collection, and you will become even more impressed.

if you feel like the defect in the construction is bad enough to where it will bother you, then i would contact the company and see what they can do. i truly feel if you are spending your good money on 'top-end' speakers, they should be perfect in every way. enjoy your new system, and good luck on your new receiver choice.. might i suggest an Onkyo

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#51924 07/09/04 05:34 PM
buff
buff
K -

Good to hear your enjoying your new sounds. I'm thinking though that you most likely have plenty of power (100 wpc) from your Pioneer receiver. However power is relative to the manufacturer, and I think if you move up to Denon, HK, NAD, etc you'll see a huge improvement in sound quality and quantity at 100wpc (or even slightly less).

#51925 07/09/04 06:26 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
When I first received my speakers I was also a little surprised as I had one woofer that had all sorts of wierd glue on it. I contacted Axiom and they sent me another. That was fine but it also was blemished and looked used. Upon that return, I was sent a midrange instead!!! Finally we got it right and everything is good BUT I was not really happy that even though I paid full price, I believe I was sent B stock either by accident or by some other force unknown to me.

I was thinking of buying M3's but have decided to wait and swallow my pill about this issue. BUT the best thing is that these speakers are very good sounding and I am hard-pressed to find anything better anywhere near this price. I hope that I was just un-lucky but I still think someone was sleeping on the job because there is no way they could of authorised sending this as "a" stock speakers unless they were seriously hung over!!

I am not angry but only questioning the verification process before sending. Afterall, the service I did receive even though it was confused, was excellent and friendly in every way. I would suggest you return them and get new ones sent to you if they are not "B" stock.

I still want to get a set of M3's so please try to convince me that lightening won't strike me twice!

As for your amp.........I would definately change it as yours is probably not giving you the true wattage it indicates (as is with most Japanese models), you will then hear the true potential of these speakers.

NAD 372
NAD 542
HSU VTF2 mk2
M60's

#51926 07/09/04 07:06 PM
ksimple Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks for the imput guys.

My speakers are 'A' stock, I believe. I ordered the custom finish, so I assumed they were fresh. I agree the grilles are flimsy, and I too had a little sticky substance on the top of one of the speakers, but nothing big. I emailed Axiom today, so I'll keep you posted on what happens. I think that the next set of speakers I buy will be of the real wood veneer class.

On a happier note, I did get a chance to listen to some more tunes - good times, good times.

#51927 07/09/04 07:16 PM
old hand
old hand
If it 'regular'PE line AVR - u r right - sound lack fullness in lower part, lowdness wise - regular 100w PE is enough ( except for annoying fan )
take a look on PE 2012 ( PE 45TX ) at bigbangelectronics.com
$650

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020