Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Only listening two channel...........
#55731 07/28/04 12:17 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
OK...so you just did redbook two-channel off of that SACD and not multi-channel hi-res (which would use the 5.1 analog input)...right?

I don't know if I would call it redbook..........
#55732 07/28/04 02:30 AM
T
Todd Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
T
from a SACD. The sound is clearly better than the regular CD I have of the same nature played through two channel stereo. But, yes you are correct.

Re: I don't know if I would call it redbook..........
#55733 07/28/04 06:47 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Todd,

No need to be sorry. I simply don't precsribe to the idea of amplifiers sounding different from one another. This doesn't mean that they don't. I approach audio with an open mind and don't believe all of the audiophile snake oil myths/ideas/spiels thats are out there. Again, although my common knowledge about audio is somewhat great, my experience is what is lacking. At my young age I haven't had the oppurtunity to hear many different amplifiers.

I don't believe in amplifiers sounding different (but this could change as in your situation), interconnects and wire making a noticeable difference in sound/video quality, vibrapod products, cable raisers (hooks which hold your cables off of the floor to reduce interference, and component break-in.

I do believe in speaker break-in, that speakers have the biggest influence on how your speakers will sound, different DACS as well as CD players sound different, that your ears also need break-in to the new sound of a different type of speaker.

This is not to say that I'm right, or anyone else is wrong just that in my limited experience, my perusing many audio forums, and speaking with the local audio shop owner (who used to be the President of the Arizona Audiophile Society) this is what I have come to believe. Now if any experiences were to change my beliefs I would embrace them with an open mind.

Reply........
#55734 07/28/04 02:28 PM
T
Todd Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
T
I'm not trying to get smart, but let me get this straight. You believe there is no difference in sounds of amplifiers right?
As I said before, the only thing I changed in my tests were the Onkyo and H/K receivers. That would, to some, mean that the only difference to one listening would be the receiver right? I guess alot of high end audio people must be awful upset that their 1,000-2,000 dollar and more amps/receivers aren't any better or sounding than my less than 299.00 Onkyo right? If I am not getting this right please explain. Or am I over simplifying your point?? By the way, most people believe in ear break-in not speaker.

Re: Reply........
#55735 07/30/04 12:14 AM
aficionado
aficionado
You would be wrong about the people getting mad at spending $2000 on an amp. If you have the money to drop on an amp then by all means go for it. And if you hear a difference then good for you. I'm not here to tell anyone they are wrong for dropping big bucks on audio equipment. With a higher end component, you get better build quality and usually more power. There is nothing wrong with buying as much power as you can afford. If you read my post correctly, if I was to hear a discernable difference between amplifiers then my stance would change, but until then I'm on this side of the fence

Re: I don't know if I would call it redbook..........
#55736 07/30/04 01:21 AM
M
local
local
M
Todd, did you account for a possible difference in output between the two recievers? ie: using a SPL meter to ensure both are playing at the same loudness.

I remember reading here that even a small differences in loudness can have a huge influence on the precieved sound. ie: lowder will sound better. As a result its seems essential to normalize the loudness before comparing speakers, amp, recievers, ect.

Cheers, Jag

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020