Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Some toy's have to go............
#56124 07/31/04 11:55 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Well guy's my 56in HDTV Toshiba blew on me today after 4 years of trouble free operation. I had two guys out today to look at and I'm just going to get something new.....can you say 16X9! lol The quotes I got to fix it are not bad money wise but they are up there and If I was ever going to change my TV, now is the time. This and the fact that I want another set of M50's leads me to part with some of my toy's. I hope there is no problem with me posting this here. If there is, let me know. I thought this would be easier then Audigon, E-Bay etc. I save myself the fees and can pass on some of the savings to people here.

Anyway, everything below is mint! I mean no scratches, nics............no nothing as in MINT! I'm not going to post prices here, so make me an offer via PM and we can go from there. If something sells I will edit my post or post again in this thread.

Odyssey Stratos Stereo (2 Channel) - 8 Months Old
Odyssey Stratos HT3 (3 Channel)- 5 Months Old
Acurus MONDIAL A125X5 (5 Channel) - 14 Months Old
Marantz MM-9000 (5 Channel)- Not sure as I got it used but like everything else, it's mint.

I also have super coolers, cables etc.

Once again if the folks at Axiom have any problems with this, let me know or delete the thread but keep in mind some of this money is coming your way! lol

Re: Some toy's have to go............
#56125 07/31/04 11:59 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
sorry bout your TV.. i can feel your pain.

i wish i was in the market for some new equip, but no xtra cash here.. good luck though..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#56126 08/01/04 12:05 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Jeez, it must be something in the air today. I sure hate that you've had to deal with this, but (as you know from the other thread), I definitely feel your pain today.

Oh, and I think I'll pass on your amp.

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
#56127 08/01/04 12:09 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I hear ya Mike, If I had a spare receiver I would make you a hell of a deal!

#56128 08/01/04 12:16 AM
aficionado
aficionado
For you, I make good bargain!!!

My girlfriend is on the way over, and we're heading downtown to catch The Derailers tonight. I guess that's one of the nice things about living in Nashville - if your audio equipment goes up in smoke, you can always catch good live music.

Good luck with your TV hunt. Let us know what you end up buying, okay?

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
#56129 08/01/04 01:54 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
My god! Are some of you people rich here or what? Only thing I have left is the Acurus which I must admit has me a little shocked. Nothing against the other amps I had up for sale but the Acurus is probably the most accurate out of all of them. That and in stereo it's 150per into 8 and goes well over 240 at 4ohms. This thing does 170 X 5 into 4ohms with 45amps of current!
Oh well, I guess marketing is alive and well! lol Anyway, everything is gone but the Acurus.

#56130 08/01/04 04:47 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
NeverHappy, I did some quick looking and found this down to earth review (made me smile a couple of times ):

"Reviewed by: leicanut, Audio Enthusiast, from leicanland

Price Paid: $549

Product Model Year:

Summary:
Do you need this amp to replace your receivers power plant? Here's a good test for determining the need, if you are thinking of adding to a DD rig.

Get yourself a Radio Shack digital sound level meter $69. You'll need this anyway to accurately setup all the DD channels on any receiver. Better yet, convince your friend to buy one and mooch his!

Now play the DD test tone setup on your receiver and look at the bar graph meter reading:

IS THE BAR GRAPH/NUMERICAL READOUT SOLID AND UNWAVERING?

If yes, you got yourself a fine receiver power plant. An upgrade will not necessarily improve the amp quality, only the WPC output. So no need to upgrade to a separate amp unless you crave more power, but if its power you seek, don't stop at 125 watts, go for 200wpc.

IS THE BAR GRAPH WAVERING, or the NUMERICAL READOUT FLUCTUATING BETWEEN TWO DIGITS?

If yes to this question, then the Acurus is for you. I always thought that a wavering bar graph/fluctuating digit readout was due to reflected sound waves in the room, it did this with Sony, Sherwood, Kenwood, Technics and Pioneer (non THX certified) receivers, both DD and DPL. But when I hooked this Acurus up to a previously wavering test toned Pioneer D850s, that old sound level meter got as solid as a rock! But surprise? not! I only paid $309 for the Pioneer, and it is a perfect pre-amp.

Now for the weakness addressed above. The Pioneer 850 pumps out six channels of music (plus a sub woofer channel), and this Acurus only has five channels, so I have to use the Pioneer's back channel. Same is true for my primary setup, using two Acurus A200x3's, I still need the seventh channel (center) driven by my Pioneer elite 37, as it pumps out seven discrete channels. Lets hope the industry standardizes so the amp makers can finally make a unit with the right number of channels!

How does the Acurus sound? Like an amp. Flat as a midwestern prairie. It has a line graph measured frequency response at all listenable frequencies that makes a preadolescent girl look like Raquel Welch by comparison. Seriously, if you are hearing coloration in your system, look to the speakers. I've only been reading stereo mags since the seventies, when I bought my first requisite dorm-buster system, but i've yet to see a mag measure a "ski-slope" frequency reponse in any amplifier test. In fact, most don't even show a line graph anymore. Makes it easier to tell the reader how the amp "sounds", without having flat frequency response curves confuse the issue.

So if you need a better quality amp, this Acurus is for you. I love all three of mine!

Strengths:
Rock Solid full metal jacket power

Weaknesses:
not enough channels, need six, or seven to keep up with the joneses ex or es systems

Similar Products Used:
acurus a200x3, kenwood km-x1"

#56131 08/01/04 07:29 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Made me smile a couple of time also! I'm not sure I buy the bar graph wavering part but hey, to each there own.

He has down he's from Leicanland?????

#56132 08/01/04 04:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yeah, that's a new one to me, too.

#56133 08/01/04 05:42 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I HAVE A ACURUS A-150 IN MY SHED,I HAD IT ON MY SYSTEM UNTIL I PICKED UP MY 5 CHANNEL MARANTZ,GOOD AMOUNT OF POWER,NO PROBLEMS -(BESIDES THE THE FLICKERING LIGHT ON THE POWER BUTTON)- IT HAS BEEN DEALING WITH TEMPS FROM ABOUT 0 TO 120 DEGREES F-ITS A WELL BUILT AMP-IMO.....RON

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 957 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup