Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Did I needlessly throw my money away on Axiom'
#69277 11/24/04 02:51 AM
local
local
Daphoid, the only way the argument makes any sense is in an "ignorance is bliss" sort of way. When I first started looking into home theater I didn't know what was out there so I started from the bottom at Best Buy and Circuit City and listened to Yamaha, Sony, Bose and Klipsch (very low end) systems and to someone that had never owned a subwoofer or a home theater they all sounded great. The Klipsch sounded best and for $1300 I could have walked out of there with a Yamaha receiver and 6 speakers and I would have been loving life. I never would have known what I was missing. But once I looked around I realized how much better the sound can be I ended up with a system that I think is 200% better for less than twice the price. And at that point I had listened to systems that were way more expensive than what I bought and decided for myself that they weren't worth the difference in price. The bottom line is that once your system is set up, get some CD's and DVD's that demonstrate how good your system sounds and let your pals listen to it and decide for themselves. Then tell them that every time they want to come over and listen to it it will cost them a beer...

#69278 11/24/04 02:56 AM
axiomite
axiomite
In a medium/large room I don't believe there is anything you could get for the same price that would sound as good. You could definitely get an OK system for $500 but it would NOT compare with what you have today. The Fluance speakers look great for the money but I don't think anyone can honestly claim that they are in the same league as Axioms for sound. The Fluances look a lot like the "high end digital monitors" I use for surrounds until I can afford QS8s -- decent sound, but not even comparable to M2s in terms of overall sound quality.

Again, we keep coming back to the same questions. Could you have spent much less and still be happy ? Quite possibly, you have a heck of a nice system today and we all used to get by with crappier sound. Could you have spent much less and got an equally good system ? No way, stop worrying.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#69279 11/24/04 03:14 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
In reply to:

You could definitely get an OK system for $500

Hell I have more than that in a headphone set up.Is that a waste of money,I don't think so.

Its what you want and like not what your friends think you should have.Almost everyone I know thinks I'm crazy but I really don't care.Most of them don't know squat about what sounds good.My father-in-law just spent $500 on a Bose wave radio...........now to me that is a waste but he seems to like it,so I don't comment on his decision its his $$$$.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#69280 11/24/04 03:22 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
totally agree FogHorn, when I tell people about Axioms, they say "Axiom who? Personally, I had never heard about Ax's until about 6 months ago. If it was not for advertisements on audioreview.com, avsforum.com, etc.. who knows what I would own today...

I can't believe people think Axioms are expensive, if anything they should be more expensive for what you get. I think it is rediculous what Bose speakers sell for, heck my friend just purchased a 5.1 Bose system with cube speakers for a crazy price, he is so stuck on the Bose bandwagon.

In addition, my brother in law owns a professional recording studio, he is a BIG B&W fan, which also blows away Bose, anyway he has always had B&W's in his studios. Now that he has heard my Axiom's he is starting to think his next order will be from Axiom.

I personally compared B&W 700 series, Paradigm's, NHT, and Klipsh, Bose wasn't even a thought, and in my opinion for the money these brands can't compare, but in detail and accuracy they are as good or better.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#69281 11/24/04 04:26 AM
devotee
devotee
If your friends have nice cars ask them why they threw away too much money on it when they could have bought a used Yugo. If they say that is not the same tell then why, the Yugo and the BMW will get you to the places you are wanting to go to. Oh, I guess the BMW is nicer, drives a hell of a lot better and is all around a better car but then again, they listen to Bose so go figure...

#69282 11/24/04 04:27 AM
devotee
devotee
PS... Who gives a crap what anyone thinks besides you.

#69283 11/24/04 05:55 AM
M
local
local
M
Daphoid, I'm in total agreement with the rest. You've got a hell of a system for the $$$$'s spent! We all know Axiom and SVS are some of the best values out there hands down. If your friends don't then too bad. Bad luck for them.

In my mind there definitely is a point of dimishing returns with $$$$ spent but one does have to spend a fair amount, as you have, to get to this point. I believe you're there!

Of course this is all relative, one man's oasis is another man's hell... I've heard the Bose systems and to ME thats hell!

To this date my wife still doesn't understand this. To her a HTIB system would be just fine. Not to me! In sound quality we have different values. ( hopefully this will change once I get everything )

These are all very much value based opinions and its for this reason that its impossible to make a strong argument to anyone that doesn't value sound quality to the same degree. For instance to me I'd never spend 100K and an amp, even if I could, I just don't value the degree sound improvement I would supposedly get. Others on the other hand definitely would and do. If I can't appreciate the improvement then too bad for me.

For you, I think its more important, as it is to me, to know what like minded people, who value the same quality in sonics, think. And I think its clear from the above posts you've got a great system! A great system of outstanding value!

And the Fluance systems... just look at the specs. You've got them beat. Your monster SVS would eat them for breakfast!

Cheers, jag

#69284 11/24/04 06:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm not sure what to make of this thread. Anyway, I guess my question is do you like your speakers? if so, then screw your buds and ignore them. I think Bose for the most part is a joke but.........they have got it right a few times also. Ever heard a set of 10.2 towers? Nice speaker. 901's when set-up and backed with some decent power can get the job done. As for the cubes, yeah whatever. Not sure what the hell is up with that train of thought.

As for Fluance speakers, don't take them for granted. Do a little research on the line and you will find some heavy hitters behind this brand that were instrumental in PSB and Polk just to name two. That doesn't necessarily mean there good but I bet you they are better then most people think they are. That doesn't mean there great, but I doubt they are what you would call junk!..................now if you had said Streem, you would have gotten a totally different view point from me! :-)

#69285 11/24/04 06:50 AM
local
local
This is a joke right? ;-) I think our friend Daphoid just needed to hear more compliments and wanted to boost his reassurance...hehe.
No offense or anything, but if you were smart enough to buy these Axiom, Denon, and SVS, then you sure as hell ain't dumb enough to believe what your "friends" said, I'm sure you'd already audition many speakers out there so if you're still in doubt and questioned decision you made. Maybe, just maybe...it's about time to upgrade and jump on higher end gears, your equipments are nice, but there's always better out there for much more money. ;-)

I have M22ti and SVS PB12-ISD(aka PB1) myself and I too, often have the urge and itch to upgrade them, but whenever I fire them up with my favorite CD....I realized again that they're doing a pretty darn good job at music reproduction, and that's when I knew I needed to spend more time to listen to all my music collection instead of looking for excuses and spending countless of hours to shop for other equipments. Nowaday I found myself shopping more and more for CD and DVD...heh. :-)

#69286 11/24/04 07:35 AM
veteran
veteran
About the "being happy with a lesser system thing": I think that you may have been happier with a crappy system and never known the difference if you had heard nothing better. However now that you have a real high end audiophile type setup you probably say to yourself all the time things like "man, X sounded like crap compared to my system" I know that I do. When I first got the axioms I was impresseed, but did not notice a hugely vast difference between them and any other system, but now when I hear a inferior system I know it is inferior...

---|---|-O <- My Kitten (Grey and White) Also, accepting donations for the MX-700
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters