Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Validation of HT Setup
#71557 12/11/04 05:13 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hello:

I would like some validation of my home theatre setup for an addition I am putting on my house:

I am at the wiring rough in stage:

I expect my factory outlet VP150, M60Tis, and QS8s to come in the next week or so (ordered just before the price jump on Nov 15)

Here is how the speakers are going to be placed:

More details on how the speaker placement will be on a “stage” where the fireplace is:

The QS8s will be placed at 7 feet high (9 foot walls) at about 16 feet from the projection screen.

The main listening couch will be 14 feet from the projection screen in the center of the room.

Concerns that I have

1. I may have to angle the VP150 down to the listening area.
  2. Will the M60s be too high? The fireplace stage is 12” tall.
  3. Will the way I have the M60s on the fireplace stage colour the sound at all?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks

BarilkoBart

Re: Validation of HT Setup
#71558 12/11/04 05:24 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Welcome barilkobart

WOW - what a room!!! I am seriously jealous. Did you speak to Axiom at all about your proposed setup? Given the size of this thing (and what looks like a a peaked ceiling), Your setup "looks" to be OK, but their expertise might be of value here. If need be, do you have room to put the M60s just off the stage or even to the outside of the 2 patio doors? I ask this question because I don't know where the seating position will be and a wider soundstage might be helpful.

Another question to ask Axiom - would the M80s be a better choice for this size room?

Also, you don't mention it, but this room is going to need some serious subwoofer-age. What components will you be using?

#71559 12/11/04 05:49 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Ray hit all the points that I saw as concerns...most notably the proximity of your two main speakers at that sitting distance.

I also wonder two other things: One is that although it seems to be pretty widely done, I always wonder about putting ANYthing (screen OR plasma) above a fireplace. I wonder if it won't keep getting smokey. Just a thought.

The other one is that as soon as I saw the floorplan as the first image, I was thinking that you were going to be placing the system along the wall on the right. It seems to me that the lack of windows, etc., increases flexibility in speaker placement. I wonder if that's an option for your plans?

Edited: I almost forgot to echo Ray on another thought: Nice Room. Ditto the jealousy and the welcome!

Last edited by MarkSJohnson; 12/11/04 05:52 PM.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#71560 12/11/04 05:54 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Yup, I did talk to Axiom; they recommended the M60s as a minimum. Budget and upgrading my Receiver to drive a 4ohm load left me with the M60s.

There probably would be room for the M60s between the stage and the patio doors, but I was worried about the speakers getting bumped as people go in and out of the doors. Or worse yet, the M60s being used as drink holders!
I never even thought about putting the M60s on the outside of the patio doors. Something to play with. Thanks for the sugestion.

I plan on getting a couple of SVS subs in March.

Components:
Pioneer Receiver VSX-D810S (100W 6.1)
Pioneer DVD Player DV-578A-S
Infocus SP4805 Projector
ExpressVu 5900 PVR
XBOX
HT PC (future)

#71561 12/11/04 06:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
How much space do you plan on having between the M60's and the wall behind them?

I would be worried about having the speakers so close to the fireplace.

#71562 12/11/04 06:18 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The M60s will be 2 feet from the edges of the fireplace and have about 7 inches of space behind them.

The fireplace is gas and there isn't much heat generated to the sides or above. Its more for atmosphere.

#71563 12/11/04 06:28 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The fireplace is gas and doesn't generate took much heat.

Placing the system along the wall on the right would complicate surround setup. I want the fireplace and projection screen to be the focal point of the room.

Thanks for your comments.

#71564 12/11/04 06:43 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
I have a gas fireplace and keep it turned to "low" because it gives off a surprising amount of heat, mostly emanating straight forward rather than laterally, but 2 feet to either side might be enough. You do bring up a good point about the M60s acting as expensive drink holders. Even on the stage, they may attract a fair number of beers.

Thoughts about the left/right corner placement for the M60s. Great for drink avoidance, broader sounstage, but will probably require some toe-in. If you place them here, think about your SVS style & placement. Those corners look to be the best for the subs. That means you'll probably need to place them directly IN the corner to mazimize the LFE. If so, then the M60s will need to be placed in front of the subs or just beside them, a bit inside the corners.

If we assume that my thoughts are even close to making sense, quite a stretch , then it might make sense to consider the SVS cylinder style, rather than the box style. This isn't a bad thing, because it is clear that there is quite a bit of testosterone and bragging rights embedded in this whole project and the cylinders (I have one) will be excellent conversation starters.

This would be a good time to give SVS a call and discuss what the room will require, for a couple of reasons. First, given the size of the room, you will likely need max headroom vs. going low. I'm guessing they might guide to to the 25-31 PC+. This provides the most headroom, but can also be tuned to go lower, so you get the best of both worlds. Choosing the 16-46 or 20-39 would sacrifice headroom. Second, if you can zero in on the model now, it gives you time to keep an eye on their B-stock availability to save some money. The B-stock doesn't last very long and usually goes the lucky & quick.

This is just me thinking out loud - hope it's helpful. BTW, what part of the country are you in? Looks like winter outside.

#71565 12/11/04 07:09 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Wow, indeed. That is going to be a fabulous room, and those are the best diagrams I've ever seen. Great picture, too. Thank you for sharing your project with us.

My concern about the placement of the front speakers is early reflections from both the mantel and the base of the stage. It will probably be fine if not wonderful, but your plan seems to add a lot of hard surfaces very near the edges of the speakers, which could compromise the imaging somewhat. I don't think the height of the M60's are going to be a problem since you'll be a good distance away. You can probably make minor adjustments on the angle of the VP150 pretty easily if you need to by using a little wedge of some kind under the back edge.

If you're wiring at the moment, you might wish to hedge your bets on the subwoofer placement and wire a couple of different options. It might be difficult to get the placement nailed before you get everthing done and the subs acquired, and you might find that you like one of them in the back of the room or something.

I'm concerned about control of ambient light from all those windows.

Where does the equipment live?

Very exciting project. Congratulations and thank you again for sharing your journey with us.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#71566 12/11/04 07:14 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I have a similar layout in my home. (open greatroom, vaulted ceilings). The only thought coming to my mind is light. Don't know if you've checked, but shades for trap windows are mighty expensive. I have traps throughout my house and no shades because of the costs.

I experimented with my speakers on the fireplace hearth which is 16" high. I preferred them higher but they just didn't look right. I have rock and a hand carved mantel surrounding my fireplace and the speakers took away from them. I spend more time standing in the great room / kitchen area than sitting though. But also liked them higher when I was sitting down as well. I'd just experiment if I was you.

Oh, and one other thought......does you wife know your plans? When I had one of those, she refused to let me have a TV in the greatroom.

And you don't 'need' the M80's. Anyone who suggests them for reasons of space and volume anywhere other than a gymnasiam has not heard them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,231 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup