Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cables for a Carver HR-895
#71934 12/13/04 10:01 PM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Just wondering if someone can help me out with the best cable layout for my receiver. I have a Carver HR-895. Nice unit, it's just that it's old and doesn't have any digital inputs. Lot's of power though. 115W L/R 75W CC/SR/SL 5.1 Also has second out puts for another room and full preouts.
Can you point me in the direction of a article on setting this up. I all have s-video inputs. Also, do I use the LD input for the DVD player as there isn't anything labled DVD. I guess since I am using analog I can use any of the inputs labelled VCR.
I have ordered a manual from Carver as I bought this unit second hand. Maybe I'll post a picture of the back so you can give me a heads up. I was also wondering how I can take advantage of the digital world. Maybe SACD down the road. Should I go with a processor of some kind? There is a Mon s-video. Is that the output to the TV? Could you tell me what the remote in / out RCA terminal is for? Is this a remote remote err..external remote input? I have M3's right now but the full kit is on it's way and I want to get a full understanding of what is going on. It's all new to me. I used to have 2 ch years ago, but everything has changed so much. I'm really quite impressed. I'm understanding everything else no problem but the all the cable options seem to be the one that has me doing lots of reading. I should also mention that I have a HK AVR130 to play and learn with as well. I find the Carver sounds alot nicer though. My set up will be M60/QS8/EP350/M22.
This all seems a little disjointed to me but I will post anyway.
Thanks in advance for anything you can point me to.
Cheers,
Gerry

Re: Cables for a Carver HR-895
#71935 12/14/04 01:07 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hiya Gerry,

Man, I wish somebody smart would respond so that you will have more to go on than my inadequate musings.

Okay, I think we have a problem. Are you absolutely certain that this unit does not have ANY digital audio inputs? If so, I do not understand how you will be able to decode Dolby Digital or DTS.

Does it have full 5.1 channel inputs for any of the devices?

I don't think the AVR130 has pre-outs, so that probably won't help you much.

I've always liked Carver equipment, but that one might have to be relegated to power amp duty if it won't process digital inputs.

Need the manual or at least a good pic of the back panel to be more helpful, I think.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#71936 12/14/04 01:32 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
In reply to:

I wish somebody smart would respond

Huh, what?

#71937 12/14/04 02:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The receiver is probably from the "5.1 Ready" days where they used external decoders.

#71938 12/14/04 03:04 AM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Ok, here are a couple of pics.
Carver HR 895 Dolby Surround Pro Logic

Thanks,
Gerry

#71939 12/14/04 03:12 AM
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
I haven't purchased any cables or a DVD player yet so I am wondering what is best. Do I go with all s video cables where possible. And is the S vid (mon out) to go to the TV from the receiver? Sorry guys I am a little premature here but the manual has not arrived yet and my speakers are on the way. I would like to hook them up and watch a movie when they get here. (I'll just borrow a DVD player from a friend)
Gerry

#71940 12/14/04 05:39 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Depending on that kind of connections your TV and DVD players have there are numerous ways to hook them up...here's a run down...

1) The worst connection is via a single composite cable. It'll work, but the picture quality will not be great.

2) S-Video...the next step up. You'll get a brigher, sharper picture than with component.

3) Component...this is the best analog connection possible. It's a three cable connection.

4) Digital...either DVI or HDMI. Depending on your TV, most people say this gives you the best possible picture quality.

Hope this helps.

#71941 12/14/04 02:05 PM
buff
buff
I think you're in the 'same' boat with me.

I bought my Axiom speakers earlier than my plan before Nov 15,2004. Right now I still use my old Pioneer VSX 9500S to be my AV receiver. Yes, this classic equipment doesn't have digital input. I think the best it has is Dobly ProLogic sound.

If you run your video cable from DVD into your Carver, then to TV, the best you can do is using S video cable. However, if you've an 'updated' TV which has component input, then you can run component cable from your DVD to TV and has to settle with analog audio output from your DVD to Carver. In this aspect, at least you can still get the 'best' picture quality among the 3 video input formats. Will you have more than 1 video source?

You aren't able to get digital audio like DTS etc unless you use your AV130 (but has to compromise the sound).

About cables, it depends on how much you want to spend. It has a wide selction in the market and I remember there are threads before linking some cables web site.

Good luck.

Romeo
M60i, VP100, QS4
(3 months away from a new AV recevier
6 months away from a sub woofer)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484