Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Two new systems, $5,000 each (ballpark)
#75976 01/14/05 03:57 AM
shareholder in the making
Tom, it isn't simply "my viewpoint". I'm only pointing out what audio engineering science teaches us: if an amplifier has audibly flat frequency response and inaudibly low noise and distortion it reproduces sound transparently within its power limits, neither subtracting anything nor adding any sound of its own. This doesn't depend on brand or price and claims to the contrary haven't stood up under controlled blind listening tests.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#75977 01/14/05 04:02 AM
ATCGuy Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
I only mention the NAD setup because I respect their products, much like Outlaw and others. I'm just trying to make sure I've explored all avenues for a great system before I blow $5,000 or $6,000.

I appreciate all the ideas so far, because I now have some options. Anybody in the Minneapolis area doing demos???

[blue] "Welcome to my sky! Now buckle in for the ride!" [/blue]
#75978 01/14/05 04:16 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I guess I never looked at it that way and I agree with the transparent characteristics that you've explained. I'm definitely not an audio engineer and the only understanding I have is by what I've read on sites like this over the years. I simply don't understand the power piece of the equation. For example: I have a room that is 28*37 and 18 feet high that opens into other parts of the house. Granted the M80's are very efficient and should not require an enormous amount of power to drive them at normal listing levels. My question is this. Why does my receiver begin to sound harsh at say 80 db and my amp sounds (to me) less harsh at 80 db? Am I hearing what I want to hear or am I exploiting the limits of the receiver? Keep in mind I do not want a debate on receivers or amplifiers I’m just trying to help myself understand the differences and hopefully help others that may be reading this.

Again, thank you for your time and patience.

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#75979 01/14/05 04:27 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Sorry, I didn't mean to hi-jack this thread. I’m just trying to better understand all of the "hype".

I agree, you are doing the right thing by researching all of the pieces before pulling the trigger. You literally have hundreds of options to choose from.

M80's VP150 QS8's Earthquake SuperNova MKV-15
Integra DTR-7.4 Outlaw 755 Outlaw M200's Outlaw ICBM
#75980 01/14/05 04:27 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
I think the key words are,if used within their power limits.If say you are running your speaker at low to moderate levels then there will be no difference in the sound,at least there shouldn't be.Where it is good to have a seperate amp is when you start to push your AV reciever past what it abilities are.

Most recievers do not have the robust power supply that a typical seperate amp does.If a person is using say a pair of M80s at very high levels is where you would notice the differences.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#75981 01/14/05 05:53 AM
ATCGuy Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Just for my edification, what kind of sound am I hoping to achieve? I know that may sound simplistic, but you here all the acroymns floating around, and maybe it's just what each listner prefers to hear on their own system.

Axioms, by their own postings, say their speakers are neutral and linear. Should I buy a amp or A/V receiver that's neutral too? And if you buy "bright" or "cool" speakers, is a "warm" amp the solution to bring you back to neutral?(or vise versa)

I know this is all subjective to each and everyones tastes, but I assume when professionals review components, they must have something in mind. What determines a good quality speaker or component as far as tone?

[blue] "Welcome to my sky! Now buckle in for the ride!" [/blue]
#75982 01/14/05 07:57 AM
J
J
In reply to:

I know this is all subjective to each and everyones tastes, but I assume when professionals review components, they must have something in mind.

That in itself is the trick. When everyone reviews a product they can't help but have an idea of what something will sound like as they will inevitably compare X vs.Y. So you have to decide what sounds good to you through demos and go with what YOU like. Possibly based on what others have said, but remember what they hear/like will be different than what you hear/like.

In reply to:

Should I buy a amp or A/V receiver that's neutral too? And if you buy "bright" or "cool" speakers, is a "warm" amp the solution to bring you back to neutral?(or vise versa)

As JohnK noted amps and receivers should not add(warm nor bright) anything to the sound, however some people feel they do. Again that is for you to decide. I have tried some blind listening tests with my friends HK and my denon and a Yamaha through my M22's. all set up as equal direct modes etc. and none of us could tell a difference in sound.

The best you could hope for is to achieve a sound as close to having the artists in the room with you live, sounding just as they recorded the songs. Isn't this what most of us are hoping to achieve with as few dollars spent as possible? IMHO

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
#75983 01/14/05 05:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If all these amps and receivers actually reproduced sound differently, wouldn't there be wildly disparate frequency response graphs to compare - just like the graphs for speakers? From the few amp charts I've seen they're all flat as a board.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (2x6spds), 880 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup