Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Axioms in OMAN
#76247 01/12/05 11:19 AM
Nat Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
An update to all my friends in the Axiom forum about the purchase that I was planning for Axioms from Oman.

Apologies for the long thread, but I am very exited with the new set.

My New Axioms arrived on Sunday in perfect condition, I recieved the call at noon that the FedEx guys are waiting at my home. My understanding boss (a nice guy) let me have the rest of the day off. I went home and unpacked the Axioms, they were all in perfect condition.

I should have posted earlier, but was too busy in the office (financial year closing ... etc), and enjoying the speakers in the evenings. I am now the proud owner of the following:

A Pair of M80ti
VP150
2 Pairs QS8

I have a dedicated room, so WAF is not a problem. The wife occasionally wanders in, gives me the 'look' and leaves. I am pretending that I do not get it at all .

I have used the M80's and the VP150 and 2 QS8's (on some books on a shelve) so far. I am planning to setup the QS8's tommorow to get a 7.1 setup with my SVS PC+ 20-39.

I placed the M80s on the side of the projector screen (around 8 feet apart) slightly toed in, with the VP150 in the middle on 2 speaker stands. The QS8's will be fitted to the walls tommorow, with two Pairs going to the sides (5-6 feet high), slightly behind the listening position by 1 feet. The back pair will go on the back wall 8 feet high pointing downwards using Axiom FMB pointing downwards towards the listening position 2 feet apart (there is a big window on the back wall).

I initially had the M80's pointing straight ahead, this caused some problems with imaging. I toed them in slightly, like I learned from reading EVERYTHING that Alan wrote on this website, and imaging improved immensly. For the first time in my music listening life, I nearly swore that the sound was coming from the center speaker and had to check the 3805 to ensure that it is in DIRECT mode not PLIIx mode. The M80's sound sweet and I am glad that I got those instead of the M60's. They are also large and I feel masculing and powerful just looking at them . I am very happy with these, they are the best speakers I have ever owned or listened to in a private home. AND ... they are NOT bright. They sound just right. Even old recordings do not sound THAT bad. My big surprise was when I played the CD "Auberge" by "Chris Rea", this is one of my favourite cd's. The CD is not a prime example of a quality recording. BUT, I never realised that the voice of Chris Rea was this deep. Other CD's, pink floyd, eric clapton, lara & reyes, ottmar liebert, diana krall ... etc, all sounded wonderful. I heard detail that I could not hear before. I am very pleased with these speakers. And they are not fatiguing, I listened for more than 10 hours in the first day and reasonable volume and have not experienced any discomfort.

The VP150, I placed on 2 speaker stands near each other. Looks nice. But the sound was not so good. After spending a couple of hours reading the manual and some of the Tips and articles in the Axiom site, I flipped them upside down and the sound immediately improved. I also increased the center channel by 1 DB and it is slightly better. I am not very happy yet and I have some fiddling to do to improve the sound (forward / backward repositiong). Speaker sounds good, but speach is not as I would like it to be. I tried StarWars P1, LotR RotK, Gladiator, ... etc. So the VP150 is still a work in progress.

The QS8's will be mounted tomorrow, but from what I hear so far, they sound good. StarWars P1 sounded good.

Oh well, enough for now. I will put in an update when I can and will post some pictures when everything is in place and looking good.

Thanks for all the help ...

Another happy owner ... and another member of the community ..

I cannot respond to posts immediatly because of the time difference .. and because I am listening to something in the dedicated HT room

------ M80, VP150, QS8 Surr, QS8 Back Surr Sunfire Amp -M80, Denon 3805 -all else, SVS 20-39 PC+
Re: Axioms in OMAN
#76248 01/12/05 12:43 PM
shareholder in the making
Nat:

Excellent!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#76249 01/12/05 01:59 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
thats great man.. glad you are happy with the M80's. i am sure if you keep joshling with the VP150, you will get it to sound great. i also have boosted the center up by 2dbs in my set-up. and keep trying movies to show off the QS8's. they really bring movies alive. here are a few to try.

open range
the bourne identity
harry potter: chamber of secrets
either of the spider-man movies
saving private ryan

give it some more listening, and give us some pics!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#76250 01/12/05 03:13 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Nat, that's just outstanding! Congratulations.

#76251 01/12/05 03:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Your enthusiasm is a joy, and I'm relieved to hear that you don't find them "bright."

I too, feel the VP150 is the weakest chain in the link (do NOT interpret that as meaning I think the VP150 is "bad"). Keep working with it.

With apologies for belaboring the obvious, be sure the distance settings are correct in you receiver's speaker menu.

Enjoy!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#76252 01/12/05 04:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Glad you like them. My only comment would be that your proposed positioning of the QS8's sounds a little odd.

The side surrounds usually go a few feet above ear level, and about 1' in front of the seating position...not behind.

The rear surrounds also do not need to be pointed down at you. I'd mount them flush to the wall with the supplied T-bracket. Again, a few feet above ear level, but this time directly behind you.

Other than that, it sounds like you've got yourself a great setup! (And a great boss!)

#76253 01/12/05 05:24 PM
devotee
devotee
It's funny how speakers can make you feel like your first bike did when you were a kid.

I've found that when the wife gives the "look" give her the ear to ear grin that you have when you look at the speakers. Trust me, the look will go away with the disarming smile.

#76254 01/12/05 05:44 PM
In reply to:

The wife occasionally wanders in, gives me the 'look' and leaves.

Just dim the lights and put on a mushy chick DVD...

Soon, she'll be asking what HT items you'd like for your next birthday!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#76255 01/12/05 08:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Spiff,

Actually, Dolby Labs give you about a 15-degree range back or forward of an imaginary line drawn across the listening area. If the QS8s are exactly even with you to each side, they'd be at a 90-degree angle to the front speakers. So there is flexibility. In some rooms, there might be slight differences in the surround envelopment if they were slightly behind or forward of that horizontal line across the room. And if you want the QS8s to do double duty for SACD or DVD-Audio playback, there is a persuasive case for keeping the QS8s a bit more to the rear.

With the QS8s' quadpolar driver array, I hear little difference in my own installation. Nevertheless, I always urge some experimentation. "Well above ear level when you are seated" is, in my experience, always beneficial. Just how high doesn't seem to matter much with the QS8s. But direct-radiating surrounds tend to be much "fussier" about mounting location, again depending on the room and seating arrangement.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#76256 01/13/05 03:36 AM
Nat Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks to all for the good wishes

------ M80, VP150, QS8 Surr, QS8 Back Surr Sunfire Amp -M80, Denon 3805 -all else, SVS 20-39 PC+
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters