Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Re: Code of Conduct
#76567 01/13/05 05:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Best of luck, because a code is only valid if the people adhere to it. Locking threads will spawn new threads, locking users will generate new id's being created.

One thing I do not agree with is selling products openly in the forums. Axiom is trying to run a business. That having been said, this board benefits them as well. We are a service avenue for them, and I would say cut down on calls/emails requesting information. I would be nice to undersand what Axiom thinks of us as well.

This is cyberspace - for better or worse. As was stated, it up to each person to conduct themselves accordingly. Don't get drawn into wars, becareful and eloquent when responding, value opinions, learn from another members experiences, accept that tastes, personal situations, values and hearing differ.

I will agree that the threads get aimed towards the prevailing ideas, and seemingly all go OT. The gathering point is the attraction to Axiom products - whether you own them, or not. In general I think the forum is a good place that has a few bad moments.

As the longest standing Axiom owner and board member, I think this board has a quality membership, with a few differing points of view. These views are not always related in a positive manner, but such is life!!!

#76568 01/13/05 05:14 PM
devotee
devotee
Obscenity. Ban anyone that uses it (by IP address, not name). That incident the other day where someone created a username similar to, but with an obscene twist, to another member's name was totally unacceptable. (side note: DEFINE obscenity as you see it before hand. For example "These speakers kick ass" is NOT obscene. "If you like these things, you are an ass$#@%" IS. State the rules up front.

Stating that you have a personal preferrence with or against another brand is acceptable. Personally attacking others for not having the same issues or preferences is way out of line considering that 99% of all things audio is a matter of personal taste. LT61 is correct. There are some who are repeat offenders in the "attacking others for their opinions" category. Read the forums long enough, and you can see the same folks doing it over and over again. 2x6spds was a victim, minirock was a victim, geneticdrift was a victim (and a culprit at the same time!). If people have a personal issue with each other, they should take it to PMs or email. I don't want to read that crud. All I want to do is read about the hobby (and the wondeful speakers) that I enjoy so much.

Clearly define "selling" as it applies here. I understand that you are trying to sell new, waranteed equipment, and no one wants to mess that up for you. But "I'm looking for a set of used M22s, PM me if you have any available" should be OK. Posting "I'm selling my M22s for $50" would not be OK since it obviously devalues your product. In most cases, I would imagine that the buyers would be back to complete their systems (surrounds, centers, subs) by buying the remainder from you anyway. Allow folks to get in contact with each other, but do not allow actual transaction details to be posted in public. Most of the time, the people selling are only doing so in order to get a different set of Axioms.

Provide a "report this post" button so that we can alert you to the problem posts without waiting for you to just happen to spot them. We're sure ya'll are busy making speakers, and we certainly don't want you to take time away from doing what you do best to monitor a bunch of goofs like us. Let us help you out.

Last edited by Michael_A; 01/13/05 05:22 PM.

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.
#76569 01/13/05 05:20 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

regulars mob every post till its to their liking

that is incorrect.. the regulars defend the products that they like. and they have NO problems when opposing views are expressed with tact and intelligence. when you(or your alter egos) just jump in and say, "axioms suck, [insert speaker brand] are better, then that shows a lack of respect that people are gonna react to.
In reply to:

until these saps are dealt with there will be no freedom of speech here

wrong again.. there is plenty freedom of speech around here. as long as its not in a hateful, insulting tone. like dmn23 says, its speakers man.. i dont see why it has to get ugly.
In reply to:

maybe these regulars are on the axiom payroll

ha, yes.. thats not the first time that has been said. i actually almost thought the same thing when i first started coming here. but, its just not true. these are regualr people that have a passion for HT, and wish to share and acquire knowledge in this format. were not losers, or audio geeks, or whatever terms you had used to describe us. we enjoy talking HT, and by-god, pretty much anything else. its just that mean-spirited attitude that you have at times, that turns people off.

we are all friends here. now, if thats 'weird' or 'geeky', then fine, i am a 'weird geek'. this is a computer dude, you aint gonna hurt my feelings... but, it just aint right on your part, to make judgements and point fingers at guys that you dont even know, nor have you taken the time to try to get to know.

so, if you wanna be cool, and talk HT with us(or beer, or movies, or football, or politics, or kids), then by all means , please do. but dont be the black sheep man. i have a fair level of discomfort in my everyday life.. i dont need it on here too...

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#76570 01/13/05 05:49 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I want to thank Axiom for the resources and for the freedom we have all enjoyed here.

While I agree with Ken to a certain degree (that ignoring trolls can be an effective strategy), it is not a behaviour that comes naturally to me. I pledge to try harder to know which battles are worth fighting.

One of my mentors long ago (a college History professor) instilled in me the truism that "silence implies consent". The premise harkens back to historic unwillingness of people to actively defend themselves and others outside their self-identified group against oppression and tyranny, but it applies also to smaller moments in our daily lives.

Now, I'm not suggesting that we become argumentative about audio content and the like. I'm talking about objectionable behaviour. When you stop calling people out or racism or rudeness or other manners in which they do not treat others with dignity and respect, then you give tacit approval to those actions.

As much as I'd like to think that a code of conduct would solve the problem, there are always going to be people who have not yet embraced the joy that comes from using their lives to make the world a better place. I believe it remains my personal responsibility to demonstrate inclusive values, and to hold others accountable for actions that are hurtful or divisive.

I've made friends here. I appreciate the opportunity to deepen those friendships and develop new and rich relationships.

Point being, I'm not sure that a code of conduct will actually change behaviour, although it certainly may give Axiom additional justification for punitive action. It seems like we have enough veteran technical people here that similar instruments from other public web environments could be gathered as a starting place.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#76571 01/13/05 05:54 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

Wouldn't want to turn them into The Sp.... oh, nevermind...

Easy there Ken, that dog bites.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#76572 01/13/05 05:57 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Michael A wrote:
In reply to:

Provide a "report this post" button so that we can alert you

I want to write a bit on this topic, but really need to get some lunch first! I did want to mention though that there is already an icon in the lower left of each post that allows you to notify the moderator. I believe it's the one furthest to the right, but it has a mouseover effect to verify that.

I hadn't noticed those icons till fairly recently so I thought others may have missed them as well.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
#76573 01/13/05 05:58 PM
buff
buff
I'm new to this forum, and I think everyone knows what's right and wrong on these boards. This is a great place to learn, and because you have a few bad apples in the bunch, I think a code would be fine.

What "Michael A" proposed I think is a good start to simply giving us all better security from people who have nothing better to do than to annoy other people. Having a button to report inappropriate comments is great, closing those accounts by the moderator is good, and limiting access by IP address would be another great procedure.

In all, I think there's a lot of intelligent people here that enjoy the interaction on a myriad of topics. Lets keep that freedom open to everyone and anyone who wants to participate in a socially acceptable setting, but install a couple of safety gates to ensure everybody has a good time too!!

[blue] "Welcome to my sky! Now buckle in for the ride!" [/blue]
#76574 01/13/05 07:07 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Amie, I agree with Code of Conduct guidelines and the points already made should be considered and gathering input from the members is laudable. However, I'd also suggest that a little benchmarking might yield better results. Most forums I've signed into have some for forum conduct guidelines that must be agreed to up front. Here is one example . Items 5, 6, 12 or 17 might be something to consider.

The point of the exercise is to allow the moderator to apply good judgment to dealing with bad behavior. The devil is in the details, but guidelines like these would allow that to occur.

I notice that unfortunate incidents have seemingly increased as the membership has grown (almost doubled in the last year). Part of the appeal is the latitude allowed here in conjunction with the positive nature of the community (with a few exceptions). I especially enjoy the freely offered and supported alternatives to Axiom products - subwoofers would be an example. I believe this type of information exchange is healthy and informative. Differring opinions should be encouraged, but in a professional manner.

What must be dealt with, using the technology available is unacceptable behavior. I understand the limitations of technology, but there are some things that can be used to excise problems in this environment.

Anyhow - that's my $0.02 worth.

#76575 01/13/05 07:21 PM
aficionado
aficionado
One more thing...........before this thread gets too complex, OR fades away, could you expound on what "things" YOU don't like, or approve of, (besides the obvious) here on the forum.
I see some people are incorrigible, but a further explanation MAY help the rest of us from making any "inadvertent transgressions"

LT

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
#76576 01/13/05 07:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Guys, if you'll look at the bottom of each post, you'll see "Post Extras:" with 4 icons following. Hover your cursor over each icon, and you'll find the last one is "Notify Moderator."

Good points, Ray!

I'm surprised that anyone sees MiniRock, or GeneticDrift and all his incarnations, as victims of anything but their own behavior. I've formed some very good friendships with people I've met here and when I see them maligned and insulted, I, like Tom, feel that the absence of rebuttal is tantamount to consent.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,228 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup