M2i vrs QS4
#76734 01/14/05 04:39 AM
M
max Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
M
I have a small family room. I have decided to go with the M2i as my fronts with the VP100 as my center. my question is that my sofa is against the back wall and I have to place my rear surronud speakers on the back of the side walls of the room. So I either place the M2i facing each other or I place the QS4 almost against the the back wall. I mostly want the speakers for movie watching but I obviously also enjoy listing to music. Due to the placement of the speakers on the back of the side walls and the sofa against that back wall is there one choice which would work best? Thanks.

Re: M2i vrs QS4
#76735 01/14/05 05:14 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Tough question, Max. If I understand you correctly, you're trying to decide whether to use M2s or QS4s as surrounds. Please let me know if I'm wrong. It would help to know if you are talking about a 5.1 configuration. I'm assuming you are. It would also be useful to know if you primarily watch movies, or primarily listen to multi-channel, high resolution music like SACD and/or DVD-A.

Lets start with the fact that some people prefer direct radiating speakers for surrounds, like the M2s, while others, prefer the QS series for surrounds. I don't think there is a "right" or "wrong" when it comes to this issue. It just depends on your preferences.

I prefer the QS series. I think, if I understand your situation correctly, that the QS4s would be a bit more forgiving when it comes to placement in your room. The Axiom FAQ says:

Where should I place my surround speakers?
Ideally, surround speakers should be either wall-mounted or stand-mounted to either side of the couch or primary listening area, from one to six feet higher than seated listeners' ears, and slightly forward or rearwards of the listening area if you wish. Axiom's Quadpolar surrounds are especially versatile and can yield excellent performance with stand or wall-mounting to the rear as well as at side locations. (see our dedicated stands for the QS Surround speakers in the Store). Rear center speakers for 6.1 and 7.1 installations are intended to go on the rear wall at about the same height as the surround speakers.

In a small room, with the seating area directly against the back wall, IMHO direct radiating speakers wouldn't be able to diffuse the sound enough to provide an immersing surround experience. The QS4s could be placed or the side wall slightly in front of the seating area and do a really fine job of dispersing the sound. Alternately, you could try placing them on the back wall as far from the seating area as possible. Experimenting would help you find the best place for them.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#76736 01/14/05 05:37 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Max, welcome. In your situation I'd suggest using QS4s either on the side walls just about a foot from the back wall or on the back wall just about a foot from the side walls. Once you get your speakers you can temporarily locate them in both of the positions to see if you like one better. One further suggestion is to consider a vertical M2 center and have them all across the front.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#76737 01/14/05 07:38 AM
local
local
I agree with John...the QS4's will be more flexible (and forgiving) regarding placement.

#76738 01/14/05 05:56 PM
M
max Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
M
Sorry it is for 5.1 configuration and the back wall is not an option due to a closet door on the back wall which goes all the way to the ceiling. I cant use a stand because I have a sectional sofa on the other backwall. I believe i will do what you suggested and buy the QS4 and place them on the side wall a foot from the back wall. They are mostly for movie watching except when I have a get together and we play music. And Im sure there more than good enough for that. Thank you for your very specific recommendations and advice. buy the way do you recommend the metal mounting brackets for the front two and rear surrond speakers. The center will be on top of the TV?

#76739 01/14/05 06:00 PM
M
max Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
M
John K & KC Mike thank you also you have definetaly helped convince me to go with the QS4's. Im glad I found out about axiom while reading about Paradiigm Atoms which is the way I was headed. Thanks.

#76740 01/14/05 06:04 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
the QS4's will come with T-brackets that are designed specifically for flush wall mounting. so no concerns there.

as far as the fronts, you can put them on stands, or use the Full Metal Brackets that axiom sells, and mount them to the walls.. i would not suggest putting the fronts in any sort of alcove or shelf system, cause it tends to adversely effect the sound quality. try not to 'surround' them with any objects or shelves, they need some room to breath.

good luck with your set-up.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#76741 01/14/05 06:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The QS4s come with a T shaped bracket, which should be adequate for mounting them on your side walls, unless your placement requires that they be mounted right up against, or very close to, the ceiling. In that case, the Full Metal Brackets (FMB), would allow you to tilt the QS4s down a little giving the top firing woofer some room to breathe. Positioning them this high should be done only if there is no other option.

If you're talking about mounting the M2s on the front wall, then the FMB is the way to go.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#76742 01/15/05 03:58 PM
M
max Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
M
ajax I saw the T bracket on the web sight and it looks like it would put the speaker against the back wakk not leaving space for me to connect my bannana plugs to them. Am I incorrect? That is the only reson I was thinking of buying the FMB's. Let me know, thanks.

#76743 01/15/05 04:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I believe the binding posts on the back of the QSs are angled so you should have room for the banana plugs (just). Wouldn't hurt to measure the plugs then email Axiom for the straight scoop -- or maybe someone here with QS4s could comment.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,946
Posts442,490
Members15,617