Print Thread
Rate Thread
Just getting started, any advice? BTW i'm in NJ
#82219 02/20/05 05:33 AM
cormit Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
I'm in the process of finishing a basement - no sheet rock yet. I think the room could also double as a home theater. I have 2 young kids and a third on the way.

What I am thinking of is a large rear projection set like the mitsubishi ws-73713 and a 7.1 surround receiver, possibly Yamaha htr-5790. I don't want to go with the in the box surround speaker sets.

The website suggested a couple of scenarios the only difference being bookshelf or floor standing fronts. VP150 center, M22TI or M60 fronts, EP500 sub, QS8 in back.

I'm wondering if these speakers aren't overkill for what is basically a family room.

Is there anyone in the north Jersey area that is willing to let me hear their speakers? They look great and all the reveiews I've read are excellent. I'm very excited about this project and would appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Re: Just getting started, any advice? BTW i'm in
#82220 02/20/05 07:22 AM
shareholder in the making
Good of you to stop by, cormit. The most important factors when choosing a size of speaker to go with are the size fo your room (LxWxH) and how loud you'll typically listen to music/movies. Once you've told us that information, you'll have quite a few recommendations, most of which will probably agree with each other.

As to hearing Axioms, check out this thread.

Re: Just getting started, any advice? BTW i'm in NJ
#82221 02/20/05 02:06 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Hey Cormit, I live in west Jersey (off Rt 78). You are welcome to audition my setup. I have already had three auditions and I believe all three purchased Axioms!!

PM me if you are interested.

John

#82222 02/20/05 04:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Let us know your room size (LxWxH) and we can probably offer some more comments re: what models fit best. If you have a plan for where the equipment will go, it helps if you can estimate how far you will be sitting from the speakers. If you have a large room but all the equipment and seating is in one end of the room you can often be happy with smaller speakers (but not a smaller sub) than if your home theater is spread out across the whole room.

Regarding "overkill" that's a tough call. Arguably all our HT systems are overkill (you don't NEED a home theater), but they sure do sound nice

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Re: Just getting started, any advice?
#82223 02/20/05 07:18 PM
cormit Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Thanks for the reply. The room is a basement, overall about 30' x 40'. However, it is somewhat divided. The area where I plan to set this up is 14' wide, 30' long and the ceiling height is 7'9". The wall opposite the TV is actually 10' further back and there is a 10' opening (in the middle) to another area on one side wall. At the 30' mark there is a beam that I will be finishing around and it comes down about 1 foot. I was thinking that I could maybe mount the back surround speakers there to keep them safe. I'm not sure if that puts them too high or not.

I'm trying to get some ideas because I will be putting up sheetrock within the next few weeks and want to run wires in the walls first. That brings me to my next question - What should I do for wires.

Any advice is considered and definitely appreciated!

#82224 02/20/05 07:32 PM
cormit Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
The basement is overall about 30' x 40'. The area for this project is 14'w x 30'l x 7'9" high. There is a 10' opening in one side wall and the back wall going to the rest of the space.

I want to be able to listen loud . Like a movie theater. Although I am more impressed with clarity at normal or lower levels. I am planning to insulate the ceiling to help muffle the noise, but I understand that sound travels through the beams as well. If the whole family is downstairs we can crank it up, otherwise I'll have to keep it lower.

Am I wrong to expect that properly placed speakers would eliminate the need for high volume? I have a TV in a family room now and all the sound goes up the valted ceiling to the upstairs and I can't understand half of what I'm watching in that room.

Hey, any advice on a receiver and wires? I think I am decided on a TV.

#82225 02/20/05 07:59 PM
Wow. You're definitely going to want the big stuff. At least M60s (or M50s ), VP150s, and QS8s, possibly with some M2s or M22s for the rears. The EP500 ought to be a good choice, but you should probably also consider M80s for the fronts. What are you going to be using to drive this stuff? (or did I miss that bit?)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#82226 02/21/05 04:08 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>What are you going to be using to drive this stuff? (or did I miss that bit?)

Cormit was asking the same question at the same time you posted

Have to agree, you're looking for bigger speakers for that room. Good speakers will definitely improve clarity and let you play at slightly reduced volumes... given that, I guess the question is whether you like to play loud or just play loud so you can hear clearly ?

I'm guessing that you would be better off going with a 5.1 system and spending the $$ to get better speakers than going with a 7.1 system. Mounting the surrounds off the beam should be no problem if they can hang down from the beam (either with Full Metal Bracket or by running a piece of lumber down from the beam). Remember that they should be *beside* the listening position if possible, not *behind* although placement is not too critical.

Just don't mount them on the face of the beam stuck right up against the ceiling. One of the woofers points out the top.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#82227 02/22/05 01:46 AM
devotee
devotee
" any advice? BTW i'm in NJ "
Cormit, you'll get plenty of advice on these pages, all of it good.
I have just one little bit of advice...Get out of New Jersey!
(And that's from a guy who spent 25 years there ;-)

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900
#82228 02/22/05 04:08 AM
cormit Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Jskip was nice enough to let me demo his set-up today - Thanks! I definitely like the product.

When I started this project I was thinking to install a ceiling mount projector. Then I found out what a good one costs and I decided to shift my focus (no pun intended). I've been looking at a lot of tv's and since the space is not an issue I'll stick with the rear projection and use the money elsewhere.

As far as what I want to use for a receiver - I'm partial to Yamaha. I'm thinking RX-V2500. It seems to have the features and ease of use that I want - not to mention the power. By the way loud is fun - but I like the fullness and clarity at the lower volumes. If I go with the Epic 80 set up with the an extra pair of QS8's what do you think? And where do I position the extra speakers? - towards the middle of the space?

Oh, BTW the beam runs across the back of the space so I was thinking to mount the rears along the side walls, partially blocked by the beam to get some reflection.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,228 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup