Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Aftermarket Rubber Feet For Floorstanders
#84405 03/08/05 05:45 AM
KC_Mike Offline OP
local
OP Offline
local
My Wharf's came with nice spikes, but their solution for hard surfaces really stinks. For each spike, they also supplied a hard,round,plastic piece that is hollowed out to mate to the bottom of the spike.

First, they don't always stay affixed to the spikes when moving the speakers around. Sometimes, just tilting the speaker back will cause the plastic pieces to fall off the front spikes. Secondly, I don't like the fact they are hard plastic instead of rubber. Wouldn't rubber better dampen any vibrations that might be present?

Any idea where I can find an aftermarket solution?

Re: Aftermarket Rubber Feet For Floorstanders
#84406 03/08/05 05:49 AM
shareholder in the making
If the spikes are removable, just get some 3M adhesive rubber feet from your local hardware store and affix them over the holes where the spikes go.

#84407 03/08/05 12:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You might try these. I'd be surprised if something like these weren't available at your local Home Depot or hardware store.

Also, try a Google search for "Rubber Feet." You'll come up with a lot of options.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#84408 03/08/05 03:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I believe the concept - in physics terms at least - is to transmit the vibrations to the floor, not to dampen them by use of the rubber feet.

This, again in theory, is supposed to remove the resonances from the speakers themselves, and allow this energy to be dispersed without adding to the sound.

#84409 03/08/05 05:19 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I think Mike is right; the idea, as with carpet spikes, is to physically couple the speaker enclosure to the much larger mass of the floor, helping to ensure that a higher percentage of the energy sent to the drivers actually is transmitted instead of transferred. Another consideration is height - the rubber feet that come with Axiom speakers are ~1" tall, which *could* make a discernable difference, depending upon your room and listening position.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#84410 03/08/05 08:34 PM
Keep in mind that Alan has said he wasn't able to hear any difference in a speaker's sound when it was using spikes vs. feet vs. nothing.

#84411 03/08/05 08:38 PM
buff
buff
I followed the link in Ajax's post (Hi There!) and found more information about speaker spikes...
http://oregondv.com/spikes.htm

To briefly sum up, keeps the speakers stationary and isolates them from the floor. "Put your music in the air, not the floor."

Enjoy!
BethR - Plano (Dallas) TX

BethR - El Dorado Hills, CA
To thine own self be true.
#84412 03/08/05 08:42 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
bethr- cool, a fellow texan.. welcome.

there are a few more of us on here..

bray
mwc
whatfurrer
biggsly
dallasaxiom

and a few others i know i am forgeting?

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#84413 03/09/05 01:46 AM
buff
buff
Thanks for the welcome, bigjohn.

I first found out about Axiom's from sitting in my uncle's living room. Sounded so good I decided right then and there to upgrade from my existing system (which shall go nameless for now). I wasn't sure I was going to end up with Axioms, exactly, but that's the way it turned out. I'm patiently waiting till Friday to have them delivered.

And who's my uncle? Ajax.

Enjoy!
BethR - Plano (Dallas) TX

#84414 03/09/05 03:54 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Any niece (it is niece, right? Name like Beth? Not one of those Boy Named Sue things right?) of Jack's is a friend of mine...

Welcome aboard.

Guys, on your best behav... who am I kidding...

Bren R.

#84415 03/09/05 04:22 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Niece is correct. I'm not worried about her. She can handle herself. I'm very proud of her. She works for Texas Instruments (get this! ) designing computer chips. Not "building" chips, but DESIGNING them. She has told me what she does a number of times, but she speaks in a language I can't understand (I know it ain't English), so I just smile and nod my head like I know what she means. DUH!

Jack

#84416 03/09/05 07:08 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Woohoo... does this mean we'll see a new Texas Instruments home computer? the TI-99/4B?

Bren R.

#84417 03/09/05 02:55 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

have them delivered

what speakers did you decide to go with? 60's are nice, but the bookshelves will work fine in a small space with a good sub. so can we expect a visit to the metroplex from jack to help you with set-up? or, if you think you need any help, i reckon we could find some guys up there willing to assist.

bigjohn

#84418 03/09/05 04:14 PM
buff
buff
> Any niece (it is niece, right? Name like
> Beth? Not one of those Boy Named Sue
> things right?) of Jack's is a friend
> of mine...

Heh. You got quite a giggle out of me there! Not anything like a "Boy named Sue". Uncle Jack's the best

> Welcome aboard.

Thanks,

> Guys, on your best behav... who am I kidding...

Yah. Right. Think I haven't been swarming all over this forum the last few day checking things out? It's =ALL= in the archives! ;}

#84419 03/09/05 04:23 PM
buff
buff
Jack writes:
> I'm very proud of her.

<Blushes>

> She works for Texas Instruments (get this!)
> designing computer chips. Not "building"
> chips, but DESIGNING them. She has told me
> what she does a number of times, but she
> speaks in a language I can't understand
> (I know it ain't English), so I just smile>
> and nod my head like I know what she means.

Long and short of it is that I write programs that describe the hardware inside a chip using an odd computer language specifically designed for that purpose. Then run these programs on a computer to see if it behaves like we expect it to. After a BUNCH of bug fixes we send the program to the factory where a chip gets built. We are REALLY careful about testing on the compputers before building the chip because once it's built it can't be patched or upgraded like software, and you can't deliver a new one by sending it over the web.

Right now I'm working on PCI-Express, wihch will eventually be replacing the PCI and Cardbus slots in your computers. I've already seen PCI-Express Graphics Cards for sale at the local computer stores. In another few years, prettty much everything will probably be moving over to PCI-Express. It's many times faster than PCI and uses a lot fewer connections.

Did I get it in English this time? I really do keep trying.

Bren R. writes:
> Woohoo... does this mean we'll see a new
> Texas Instruments home computer? the TI-99/4B?

No, but It's a good bet you've got some TI chips in the computer you're using right now... especially if it's got a USB or Firewire port.

#84420 03/09/05 04:37 PM
buff
buff
bigjohn writes:

> what speakers did you decide to go with?
M60ti, VP100, QS8. I still need to get a sub, but that's later. I'll use the toy sub that comes with my receiver until then.

> work fine in a small space
The room is 20' X 20' with a 10' ceiling and there are 2' beveled corners between the ceiling and walls. Probably not what you'd consider a "small space"

> so can we expect a visit to the metroplex from jack

Alas, no. There's a good reason he's in Cleveland and someday when he can come for a visit, I'll be very sad. It brings a tear to my eye even now to think of it. But I visit him as often as I can, and that hasn't been as often as I like, but it will be annually now that I have a specific reason to be in Ohio every year.

> if you think you need any help, i reckon we could
> find some guys up there willing to assist.

Thanks for the offer! I doubt I'll need any help with the initial install and connect. Once I re-configure the room to a better orientation (BIG job!) for ceiling mounting the video projector and replace the sub with a real one, I'll need to calibrate everything. Don't know how to do that, yet. I'll be paying attention on these forums to learn a bit more about that. Perhaps if I don't learn what I need to know by the time I come to that, I may have an opportunity to take you up on your offer.

And back to the topic... do the M60ti's come with spikes, rubber feet, or just what, exactly? They'll be going on carpet. I have teenagers. They're tall and I'm wondering if they'll be at all tippy without the spikes.

#84421 03/09/05 04:39 PM
veteran
veteran
Are you personally responsible for the DLP chip? Those things are amazing...

#84422 03/09/05 04:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite

I told ya she doesn't speak English when she talks about her job.

The M60s will come with both spikes and rubber feet. The spikes are kinda small, though. If you find them TOO small, you might look into the aftermarket spikes I linked to earlier in this thread.

The tricky part of aftermarket spikes is you must ensure that the threaded shaft of the spikes will properly fit the threaded hole in the M60s. Diameter and thread count are what's important, I think. But, experiment with the enclosed spikes first to see if they'll suffice.

Most importantly tell those teenagers that GREAT uncle Jack (emphasis on the "great" ) says to learn to behave around ALL of this expensive, quality equipment. Toys it ain't!

Jack

#84423 03/09/05 04:55 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
the 60's come with spikes and rubber feet, and you can interchange them to whatever conditions you have. or, you can just plop them straight on the floor, its up to you. i use the spikes and i have a medium thickness carpet.

they can be a little "tippy" with the spikes, but not overly so. if you give them a real solid nudge, they will rock a little, but i think they would still do it with the rubber feet, or directly on the floor. i think thats one of those deals you will just have to decide once you get them in your house.

good luck..

bigjohn

#84424 03/09/05 05:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Welcome Beth! (woohoo another Texan)
If you run into any problems at all be sure and let me know. I would be tickled to help Jacks niece. I'm in Rowlett so I know you cant be too far away.
BTW: do you work at the plant at 635 and 75?
I have aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends that work there.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#84425 03/09/05 05:21 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
I think edvacdude is also in the DFW area.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#84426 03/09/05 05:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
and "rook"

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#84427 03/09/05 05:55 PM
buff
buff
alou wrote:
> Are you personally responsible for
> the DLP chip? Those things are amazing

I Wish! The guy who IS personally responsible is now like WAY high in management and gets an enormous "compensation package" compared to grunts like me.

Jack wrote:
> I told ya she doesn't speak English
> when she talks about her job.

Shoot! Someday I'll figure out how to describe what I do!

Bray wrote:
>Welcome Beth! (woohoo another Texan)
Thanks! Actually, I'm a Buckeye, but in this economy, you goes to where the jobs is... and that's Texas. My office is filled with people from all over the world. I once had a door-to-door sales guy knock on my door and was surprised to find an american since my neighbourhood is like the UN. People from all over the world come here.

> BTW: do you work at the plant at 635 and 75?

There's three campuses that could fit that description. I'm on the southeast side of 635 and 75, between 635 and Forest Lane on the east side of the DART tracks that parallel 75. The northeast corner has the campus where the manufacturing facilities are located and the southwest has some office spaces as well... and that's just this area. There are probably another half-dozen or so office buildings/campuses around the metroplex.

Last edited by BethR; 03/09/05 06:05 PM.

#84428 03/09/05 06:04 PM
buff
buff
Jack Wrote:
> The M60s will come with both spikes and rubber feet.

Cool. I'll experiment.

> GREAT uncle Jack (emphasis on the "great" )

Heh heh heh You've got them pretty well conditioned on that... that's EXACTLY how they refer to you!

> says to learn to behave around ALL of this
> expensive, quality equipment. Toys it ain't!

Yah, they're pretty good until they decide to get into a fight or throw a tantrum. I don't know if you remember how my brother and I could thrash it out when we were teenagers, but these kids make us look like saints! When they're behaving, they're great!!! If teenage fights are all I have to worry about with them, then I'm doing fine. Maliciousness is not in them, but they're masters at carelessness. Gotta get them to be careful of that one M60 that's gonna be in front of the bookshelf. Other than that, they'll do fine.

Enjoy!

#84429 03/09/05 06:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
"Thanks! Actually, I'm a Buckeye"

I wouldnt hold that against you.
If you're here, you would be considered an "Honorary Texan" like it or not.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
#84430 03/09/05 06:26 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

I'm a Buckeye

my dad had a plaque in his travel trailer that said, "I wasnt born in Texas, but i got here as fast as i could!!"

i was just lucky enough to get here early in life.

bigjohn

#84431 03/11/05 03:53 PM
devotee
devotee
"I have teenagers. They're tall and I'm wondering if they'll be at all tippy without the spikes."

Is that why so many teenagers have those metal things sticking out of them these days? To keep them from tipping over?
;-o

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900
#84432 03/11/05 04:15 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Metal things sticking out of them?

Been watching too many Young Ones reruns from the BBC archives?

Bren R.

#84433 03/11/05 05:44 PM
devotee
devotee
Now THAT HAS To HURT!

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters