Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Now I need video!
#29950 01/06/04 09:32 PM
dannyc Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Hey all! I've been lurking on the boards for a few months, and finally have need to post. Knowing full well the friendly nature of these boards, as well as your excellent taste in audio, I imagine some of you are equally well versed on the video side of HT. I'm looking to upgrade within the next year, so I'd like your input.

A little bit about the current setup: My room is approximately 12' wide x 20' long x 10' high (typical rowhouse living room dimensions), with the 12' dimension parallel to the primary viewing axis. My viewing distance is 10 feet from couch to screen. Right now, I'm using my roommate's 25" television.

Soundwise I have M60 mains and VP150 center with Infinity Studio Monitors for surrounds and a 12" Titanic sub from Parts Express. I'm nothing less than impressed after 4 months, but that's a whole other thread. Quite frankly, the sound steals the show when watching movies (at least at *proper* volumes), hence the impetus to upgrade the video.

I'd like to go with a 46" widescreen RPT, or something similar. At the same time, I'm relatively young, so I don't have $5000 to plunk down on a set, and I rent, so some degree of movability is key. I'd like to spend no more than $2000.

I'm sure you all have recommendations for manufacturers and products, so let's hear it! Give me your thoughts on all things video!

Re: Now I need video!
#29951 01/06/04 09:47 PM
devotee
devotee
if moveability is an issue i would look at plasmas. There is the whole debate between plasmas and RPT and black levels and pixels, but i am not too familiar with that. Plasma prices have dropped and will continue to drop for another year or too. I think you can get a plasma 42" for around 3000 right now(the good models), and probably sometime soon you can get one for around 2000(mid models).

if you dont find enough information here, go over to http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=40

it is somewhat confusing but there is a lot of info on those boards. Anyways, tell me what you find. I am in the market for a plasma myself(but with a slightly higher budget and time frame-about 1 year before i will buy mine)

Once You Pop You Can't Stop
#29952 01/06/04 10:21 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Hawkson,

I don't think that's very good advice. A plasma screen is definitely NOT the thing to buy right now. Any plasma screen worth spending money on (this is entirely subjectivce, I know) is definitely more expensive than the original poster's budget allows.

[engaging sushi mode]
If you can control the ambient light levels in the room pretty well, I would consider a front projector. They are extremely easy to move and are much cheaper than existing large screen flat-panel technology.

#29953 01/06/04 10:38 PM
devotee
devotee
You may want to look into the InFocus X1 DLP front projector, it is well below your budget and projects an excellent 800 x 600 image. It is not fully HD resolution, but it is better than DVD resolution. It also can produce HD images, just not at full HD resolution. It also only wieghs a few pounds since it is a DLP projector.

#29954 01/06/04 10:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

It also can produce HD images, just not at full HD resolution.

Huh?

A FP would definately be easy to move, but with the projector and screen, $2000 is pushing the budget isn't it? (I don't honestly know)

If you can wait a bit longer, LCoS is getting a big push from Intel. That should mean better quality/lower prices.

I too have been researching TV's. Like you, my audio truly over powers my image. There's so much happening with TV technology now, I'm going to give it another year at least to see what happens.

#29955 01/06/04 11:01 PM
aficionado
aficionado
hi DannyC
welcome! I'm a bit of a CRT proponent when it comes to TVs. Maybe a 36" from Toshiba or Sony is worth looking at. Sony even makes a 40" that'll come in under your $2000 budget with a little haggling (I'm assuming that's USD) here:

Sony 40XBR800

Though they're maybe not the most easily transportable option, CRTs still offer the best picture performance for the money. I'm still very happy that I spent the money 2 years ago for my tube. There seems to be even more options/confusion in the market about which display is going to be the tech of the future. Until that settles out, maybe it's not a bad idea to look into a CRT. Just one man's opinion.

Good luck!

"Chickens don't clap."
#29956 01/06/04 11:27 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
I would suggest you consider a good rear projection. I was looking to upgrade my video about a year and a half ago and refused to consider the rear projection because of the problems with viewing angle and lighting conditions. When I walked into Best Buy and saw the new projection tv's I had to rethink my choices. I ended up backing off from a purchase until I could spend a month or so in research.

Then a friend bought the mitz 55 inch widescreen, the very one I was looking into. Now I could see it in a home, not a dark store. I was amazed. Not only that, but he had his TV in this little room where he sits about four feet away and the resolution was still amazing with regular TV. DVD pro scan was even better.

A week later I had the same TV in my house. My room is similar to yours, @12x25x10. I have three large windows on my left, slider door behind my sitting area, and a kitchen on the right with more windows. For about an hour during sunset lighting is slightly a bother but managable with my blinds. As for viewing angle, I have no trouble viewing my screen while cooking in the kitchen, a very large off set from my screen.

I have been more than happy with my purchase, in fact if I can get my wife talked into it, I want to upgrade to a 65 inch with the new DVI input.

The 55 inch wide screen I bought a year and a half ago cost me $2100 after some smooth talking on my part. You can buy the same TV for $1900 without any wheeling and dealing.

Three friends of mine just purchased rear projections in the size your talking about (46 in) and I think they paid about $1400.

Hope this helps

#29957 01/06/04 11:31 PM
local
local
I am also in the wait awhile later camp. The Consumer Electronics show opens in Las Vegas in two days and there should be significant news on this front with major technology improvments this year and next.

I also agree that CRT sets still offer the best picture. They are however very heavy and bulky 34"s and up.

A front projector and screen should fit your budget if you get one of the recommended lower priced units. As I believe Snippy said, the infocus X1 comes well recomended, will take an HDTV signal but will not display it at full HDTV resolution. The other unit around $1500 plus screen is the Panasonic ?300? (can't recall the exact model). If you're interested in a front projector go the the projectorcentral.com website and do some research.

LCoS projection is just coming to market and appears to hold great promise for good afforadable sets but its probably going to be a year before they are a really smart buy.

The best picture I have seen yet on a projection set I would want to own is the Samsung DLP HLN467. It is a 46' set around $3800. At $1200 I would go for it. The 43" HLN437 set is about $500 less and about the same size physically. I think these are early adopter prices that will drop by half or more on improved models in the coming year.

Mark
#29958 01/06/04 11:36 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
OH, and regarding movablity, rear projections are pretty big, but remarkably light. My 55 in is like 200 lbs. I think a 36 in crt is more than that. If I were moving once a year, I still wouldnt settle for a smaller tv, thats just me though, Ive got plenty of big friends that work for beer.

#29959 01/06/04 11:52 PM
aficionado
aficionado
You're right Kittel, my 36" Toshiba is 213lbs. according to the manual (not including the stand)!

"Chickens don't clap."
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020