AxiomAudio Blog

Blind Listening Tests

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
2 registered (nickbuol, Socketman), 54 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13329 Members
11 Forums
22920 Topics
405210 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17789
pmbuko 16289
SirQuack 13340
CV 11236
MarkSJohnson 10942
Meanwhile On Facebook

Did you get your "Golden Email"? The great gift certificate email giveaway star...

Here's a helpful article for everyone looking at putting a new stereo or home th...

Interesting article about who's getting the money from streaming radio services...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123454 - 01/08/06 02:34 PM Re: Audio Video Magazines, which is better ?
littleb Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Moorhead, Minnesota/US
I'm with you, there, Ken. I'm afraid in the audio world you must depend on the kindness of strangers.

#123455 - 01/08/06 02:44 PM Re: Audio Video Magazines, which is better ?
MarkSJohnson Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Central NH
Audio was a good mag, and I'm not just saying that in case Alan's around!

I used to get Stereo Review (now Sound and Vision) for about 15 years. Currently, I get Sound and Vision, Home Theater, and Stereophile. Out of them, I like Home Theater best.

Sound and Vision has leaned further and further towards the beginner with no depth at all to their reviews and too many "how to buy a plasma"-type articles that are geared for the Best Buy and Circuit City-level of buyers. Also, it feels like every third article is about iPods and iPod gadgets. Stereophile is, in my personal opinion, a joke filled with completely subjective, biased, BS reviews of equipment that no one can afford anyway. I do like how passionate they are about music, though, with in-depth interviews of artists and reviews of discs. As long as I've been getting Sound and Vision, I'm going to let it lapse. Stereophile was a one-year affair because of an offer for $1 an issue. I feel dirty and in need of a shower for even ordering it.

That leaves Home Theater, which I'll continue subscribing to. They review a range of equipment from inexpensive to what I consider moderately high-end, and don't get too bogged down with portables, etc.

The only website where I read reviews is Audioholics.

Despite my rants, the best thing, especially if you're new to the hobby, is pick up a few issues of each and decide for yourself!

#123456 - 01/08/06 09:38 PM Re: Audio Video Magazines, which is better ?
JohnK Offline
shareholder in the making

John, a lot of what masquerades as serious reviews in audio magazines is pure drivel. Sound & Vision is less afflicted with the problem and is worth reading(at least from the library). As far as something for a subscription, try The Sensible Sound, which actually is more sensible than most.

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#123457 - 01/09/06 04:06 AM Re: Audio Video Magazines, which is better ?
spiffnme Offline
axiomite

Loc: Los Angeles
I enjoy Widescreen Review. Mostly for their DVD reviews. They focus on the technical quality of the discs.

I believe you can get a subscription to Home Theatre on amazon.com for only $10/year. At that price it's almost silly not to give it a shot.

...yep, I just checked, it is indeed only $10/year.

#123458 - 01/09/06 06:53 AM Re: Audio Video Magazines, which is better ?
RickF Offline
axiomite

Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
No mailed A/V magazines for me, all of my reading comes from poking around the internet and the only forums I typically visit are here (Alan has some absolutely excellent articles) and the Audioholics site with an occasional visit to the Club Rotel site.

I don't want to take in too much information because I may get too smart for my own good...I've seen that happen to others.

smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.