AxiomAudio Blog

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Speaker Placement: Unusual Room Layouts and Elevating Speakers

Positioning Floorstanding Speakers

Wall'O'Fame
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
HG Rosewoods Part 3
Who's Online
1 registered (BBIBH), 79 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13295 Members
11 Forums
22822 Topics
403191 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17739
pmbuko 16258
SirQuack 13318
CV 11136
MarkSJohnson 10830
Meanwhile On Facebook

Hope everyone's got their summer favourite playlists cued up for the weekend! W...

(y) Love this customer review of the M2s! "the first time listening to my new a...

These LFR1100 speakers in custom Eggshell White are on their way to Taiwan (yes,...

Friday the 13th . . . oooooh! Who's your favorite Slasher flick character?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123454 - 01/08/06 02:34 PM Re: Audio Video Magazines, which is better ?
littleb Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Moorhead, Minnesota/US
I'm with you, there, Ken. I'm afraid in the audio world you must depend on the kindness of strangers.

#123455 - 01/08/06 02:44 PM Re: Audio Video Magazines, which is better ?
MarkSJohnson Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Central NH
Audio was a good mag, and I'm not just saying that in case Alan's around!

I used to get Stereo Review (now Sound and Vision) for about 15 years. Currently, I get Sound and Vision, Home Theater, and Stereophile. Out of them, I like Home Theater best.

Sound and Vision has leaned further and further towards the beginner with no depth at all to their reviews and too many "how to buy a plasma"-type articles that are geared for the Best Buy and Circuit City-level of buyers. Also, it feels like every third article is about iPods and iPod gadgets. Stereophile is, in my personal opinion, a joke filled with completely subjective, biased, BS reviews of equipment that no one can afford anyway. I do like how passionate they are about music, though, with in-depth interviews of artists and reviews of discs. As long as I've been getting Sound and Vision, I'm going to let it lapse. Stereophile was a one-year affair because of an offer for $1 an issue. I feel dirty and in need of a shower for even ordering it.

That leaves Home Theater, which I'll continue subscribing to. They review a range of equipment from inexpensive to what I consider moderately high-end, and don't get too bogged down with portables, etc.

The only website where I read reviews is Audioholics.

Despite my rants, the best thing, especially if you're new to the hobby, is pick up a few issues of each and decide for yourself!

#123456 - 01/08/06 09:38 PM Re: Audio Video Magazines, which is better ?
JohnK Offline
shareholder in the making

John, a lot of what masquerades as serious reviews in audio magazines is pure drivel. Sound & Vision is less afflicted with the problem and is worth reading(at least from the library). As far as something for a subscription, try The Sensible Sound, which actually is more sensible than most.

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#123457 - 01/09/06 04:06 AM Re: Audio Video Magazines, which is better ?
spiffnme Offline
axiomite

Loc: Los Angeles
I enjoy Widescreen Review. Mostly for their DVD reviews. They focus on the technical quality of the discs.

I believe you can get a subscription to Home Theatre on amazon.com for only $10/year. At that price it's almost silly not to give it a shot.

...yep, I just checked, it is indeed only $10/year.

#123458 - 01/09/06 06:53 AM Re: Audio Video Magazines, which is better ?
RickF Offline
axiomite

Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
No mailed A/V magazines for me, all of my reading comes from poking around the internet and the only forums I typically visit are here (Alan has some absolutely excellent articles) and the Audioholics site with an occasional visit to the Club Rotel site.

I don't want to take in too much information because I may get too smart for my own good...I've seen that happen to others.

smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.