AxiomAudio Blog

Sneak Peek into Axiom’s Current Research and Development

Axiom’s Newest Speaker: The In-Ceiling M3

Outdoor Speaker Placement

Wall'O'Fame
Experimental Atmos
Greetings fellow Axiom owners...
Who's Online
1 registered (mapatton), 67 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Financing
Forum Stats
13322 Members
11 Forums
22895 Topics
404590 Posts

Max Online: 378 @ 02/24/13 04:33 PM
Top Posters
Ken.C 17781
pmbuko 16277
SirQuack 13336
CV 11208
MarkSJohnson 10899
Meanwhile On Facebook

󾓶 The first review of the LFR880s is out! "If you are adding or upgrading stere...

So much going on in this month's newsletter - new product announcements, a new v...

Love this comment from Doug T! "The M22 bookshelf speakers sound so clean and a...

󾓶 Andrew has spoken! Big update on the AxiomPlay Wireless Platform on the Axiom...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#213375 - 06/27/08 06:49 PM Bad sound from Center on all DVDs
edmondwolfman Offline
veteran

Loc: Edmond, OK
Hello all. I recently received the M60s and VP100 to replace my front speakers. I've been playing with all the settings and alot of people on this forum have given me great advice. I ran the Audyssey EQ yesterday morning and that seems to work pretty well.I guess I should get to my question. Music sounds great and most TV shows sound pretty good (depends on the channel). I can go from one channel where I have to have the volume at -15 and change to another and almost blow my head off, but I guess that's just my cable.

On all the DVDs I've played (only 3 or 4 so far) the center channel is so muted I can barely understand anything. If I manually push the center channel up about 8db more than my fronts I can hear fairly well but I've seen some posters say they like to run their centers about 2db more than their fronts. Oh yeah, I'm using a Denon 3808 but I don't have a high end DVD player and not a Blue-ray yet. I'm using a new Panasonic that is a recorder also, that costs around $230.

I see a lot of people using Oppos that are fairly expensive considering they don't play Blue-ray. Can the DVD player make that much diffence for the sound, particularly the center channel? All comments appreciated.

Thanks.

#213381 - 06/27/08 07:15 PM Re: Bad sound from Center on all DVDs [Re: edmondwolfman]
terzaghi Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
hmmm... interesting. something must be wrong... you shouldn't have to turn it up that high.

My vp150 comes in loud and clear at the same level as all other speakers. Occasionally on a quite movie I will bumb it up 3db at the most.

Are you sure that the tweeter and both midranges are working properly?

You might call axiom and see what they suggest.

#213445 - 06/28/08 01:03 AM Re: Bad sound from Center on all DVDs [Re: edmondwolfman]
BrenR Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Winnipeg MB Canada
Stupid question - how is the audio hooked up from the source to the receiver? Coaxial digital? Optical digital? Analog stereo?

Bren R.

#213465 - 06/28/08 05:09 AM Re: Bad sound from Center on all DVDs [Re: BrenR]
edmondwolfman Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: BrenR
Stupid question - how is the audio hooked up from the source to the receiver? Coaxial digital? Optical digital? Analog stereo?

Bren R.

HDMI

#213473 - 06/28/08 10:26 AM Re: Bad sound from Center on all DVDs [Re: edmondwolfman]
terzaghi Offline
connoisseur

just give axiom a call.

#213479 - 06/28/08 10:53 AM Re: Bad sound from Center on all DVDs [Re: terzaghi]
Ken.C Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: NoVA
Bistream or PCM? If it's PCM, perhaps your player has the center set too low. That could be totally screwing with your levels.

#213506 - 06/28/08 03:04 PM Re: Bad sound from Center on all DVDs [Re: Ken.C]
edmondwolfman Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Bistream or PCM? If it's PCM, perhaps your player has the center set too low. That could be totally screwing with your levels.

I have DVD set to Bitstream.

#213514 - 06/28/08 06:02 PM Re: Bad sound from Center on all DVDs [Re: edmondwolfman]
PeterChenoweth Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Jacksonville, IL
It sounds to me like the problem isn't related to the Axiom speakers, but to how you have your system set up.

Yes, there can be a big variance in channels, and this is your cable company's fault. I know that with my Dish Network, the HD channels' volume level is always about 5db quieter than the SD feeds. That has nothing to do with your Axioms, your TV, nor your receiver. It's out of your hands.

Anyway, back to your problem...

First make sure that the center is hooked up properly. Make sure you don't have a polarity problem.

Try turning that Audissey stuff off. Calibrate your speakers with an SPL meter using the instructions in the 3803's manual (I'm guessing that they'll be in there). It will involve something like setting the volume to 0db and matching the output of white noise levels of all of the speakers. This is to make sure that the Audissey EQ isn't messing something up, as I've heard of this happening around here.

Also be sure that you don't have some sort of source-specific level control interfering. I know that my receiver can store different channel levels depending on the source. With a few mis-matched settings, it's easy to get it messed up and really affect the sound quality. Don't ask how I know this. ;\)

There are probably adjustable channel levels on the DVD player too, but they should only be active if you're using the analog outs. Since you're using the digital HDMI connection and using your 3803 as the decoder (as you should be), I don't think you'd have a problem there. Do double check the settings in the DVD player to make sure it isn't doing some sort of dynamic range compression or other tricks to play with the sound.
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office

#213518 - 06/28/08 06:33 PM Re: Bad sound from Center on all DVDs [Re: PeterChenoweth]
terzaghi Offline
connoisseur

If the problem was due to polarity then audyssey would have picked that up on the auto set up. I doubt that is the problem.

#213520 - 06/28/08 06:40 PM Re: Bad sound from Center on all DVDs [Re: terzaghi]
edmondwolfman Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: terzaghi
If the problem was due to polarity then audyssey would have picked that up on the auto set up. I doubt that is the problem.

You're right and I was careful to run + to + and - to -.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Home  |  Corporate Info  |  Products  |  Message Board  |  FAQs  |  Warranty  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Statement   |  Contact Us

©2014 Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited
All Rights Reserved.