Axiom Home Page
Posted By: juryman Looking for Info on OLD 5.1 Axiom Set - 06/03/20 12:33 AM
Hello all. I have had a set of Axiom 5.1 speaker & sub set since about 1999. I no longer have the purchasing info or manuals. Need to get some info on this set but cant even find information on axiom.com. Can someone help me? I purchased them as a set and I believe they were part of the Epic Midi line. I do not know what the front speakers are since I attached brackets to them to mount on the wall, covering the label. But the sub is a EP 125, the center speaker is a EC-1 and the surrounds are EC-3.

Does anyone know how I can get technical specs or a manual on this set? I would also like to know what model the front speakers are.

Thank You
Posted By: Mojo Re: Looking for Info on OLD 5.1 Axiom Set - 06/03/20 12:47 AM
juryman, your best bet is to contact Axiom directly.

BTW, you can trade those in at Axiom and upgrade to new stuff.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Looking for Info on OLD 5.1 Axiom Set - 06/03/20 01:44 PM
If you post a picture we can answer your question.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Looking for Info on OLD 5.1 Axiom Set - 06/03/20 06:19 PM
Definitely contact Axiom but would also be interested in pics and/or any info from Axiom.

I imagine that quite a few folks here are familiar with the AX series but I don't remember reading anything about the EC- series.

There's a good chance the mains are EC-2, at least that seems to be the most common pairing with EC-1 center.
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Looking for Info on OLD 5.1 Axiom Set - 06/03/20 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by bridgman
I imagine that quite a few folks here are familiar with the AX series but I don't remember reading anything about the EC- series.
As the sub was an "EP", and OP mentioned the Epic Midi package, that would not be the AX lineup (either square cabinet like mine were, or the later anti standing wave cabinet.

My guess is early ti, but Ian would know exactly!
Posted By: juryman Re: Looking for Info on OLD 5.1 Axiom Set - 06/04/20 04:01 AM
Now that you mention it, I seem to remember TI as the possible model for the LF RF speakers. I guess I can just unbolt one from the bracket and see if the label is not totally rubbed off. It should say something there.
Posted By: juryman Re: Looking for Info on OLD 5.1 Axiom Set - 06/22/20 02:00 AM
So I finally was able to locate the old manual. And the manual does indicate that the left/right speakers are M1Ti. Cover says Millennia Ti, Vocal.Point, Epicentre, Quadrant, Epic.

I feel that 20 years with this speaker set is enough and dont feel it fills the room with enough sound when watching movies especially. Its time to upgrade. I recently upgraded my receiver to an Onkyo RZ820 and my TV to a Sony 930D series. My TV room is in the basement and 15ft x 14ft, with one side completely open to a bar area. So unfortunately, for a 5.1 setup like I have, the surround speakers are on the back wall.

I have done the auto calibration of my speakers with the Onkyo many times. Yet I still feel I dont get enough vocals out of the center channel or background out of the surrounds for this room.

Where do I go from here?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Looking for Info on OLD 5.1 Axiom Set - 06/22/20 03:33 AM
juryman, I have never had success with any speakers behind me. I have tried many, many different speakers. I can't help you there.

As for a center, go with the 160v4.
Posted By: juryman Re: Looking for Info on OLD 5.1 Axiom Set - 06/26/20 11:42 PM
I looked up the 160v4. Nice. But just too big for the table I have below my TV. Unfortunately, because I dont have a wall to the right of my listening area, I have no choice but to hang the surrounds behind me. I thought the design of the Axiom surrounds (eight-sided, multipolar) warranted themselves for back wall placement.

My only other thought would be to replace the surrounds with in-ceiling speakers right over the listening area.

I also think my Onkyo might be too much receiver for my current, 20 year old Axiom speakers.

Any more recommendations?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Looking for Info on OLD 5.1 Axiom Set - 06/27/20 03:53 AM
Do you have room for an M2 on your table? I've tried it as a centre in my 4200 cu. ft. room sitting 14 feet away and liked it a lot.

https://www.axiomaudio.com/m2-bookshelf-speakers

You could get QS10 for sides. You can mount one on the wall with its integrated bracket and the other off the ceiling using the full metal ceiling bracket. You can ask Axiom to build it with a mount for that ceiling bracket.

You could always try the QS10 on the back wall first. They may work.

https://www.axiomaudio.com/qs10-surround-sound-speakers

Why do you think your Onk is too much receiver?
Posted By: juryman Re: Looking for Info on OLD 5.1 Axiom Set - 06/27/20 05:13 AM
Why should I go with an M2 when I can get a true center channel like the VP100? Its bigger than my current EC-1 but should still fit on the table I have below the TV.

The QS10's look nice. And the site shows a photo of them hanging on the back wall. Which is where my current EC-3 are. But these seem also too big for my room. QS8 may be the better choice. Never-the-less, wouldnt the design of these surrounds lend themselves to placement either back wall or side wall due to the fact that they are not one directional? Sound comes from all 4 sides of the speaker?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Looking for Info on OLD 5.1 Axiom Set - 06/27/20 12:44 PM
The M2 gives improved off-axis performance compared to the VP100. Any centre speaker is a compromise between performance and convenience. A vertical array of drivers results in a more linear response than horizontal.

In the case of the QS10, sound comes from 5 sides. They are not too big for your room. I had the QS8v2 and they were puny compared to the sound I get from the QS10. Read my review on the QS10 product page. It's the first, long one.

I tried them on the back wall in my room. Side-wall placement results in a more immersive and accurate experience. This isn't a fault with the QS10. It's how our ears-brain perceive sound from the back vs. sides. It's worth trying back vs. side to see what you think.
"My TV room is in the basement and 15ft x 14ft, with one side completely open to a bar area. So unfortunately, for a 5.1 setup like I have, the surround speakers are on the back wall."

I would say start from scratch.... with your speakers and setup.

Can you turn the room layout so that the bar opening is behind you instead?

This will let you place speakers with even sidewall reinforcement from the front channels. Would make a big difference in your perceived fullness if the front speaker sidewall reflections were used to your advantage instead of filling up the bar area on one side.

Size the system subs for the total room volume including bar. If you are using small satellite speakers with a sub you may want to think about upgrading to a more full range setup with a couple subs. Lower frequencies are where subjective fullness comes from. Use your room to your advantage by backing speakers onto even boundaries to load it better.

If budget is an issue you could always go with M5hps for your Left\Center\Right channels with RSL directional in ceiling speakers for surrounds and subs from a cheaper manufacturer. Plenty to chose from that perform well and cost a little less.

Definitely spend the money on your front soundstage. Axiom is a great choice for there, as you can get away with no treatment and have a great result.

If you post pics you will get great help.
Posted By: juryman Re: Looking for Info on OLD 5.1 Axiom Set - 07/01/20 03:49 AM
TrevorM. Wish I would have thought of that when I built the basement. It would be difficult for me to turn the room now. I have finished walls and a finished ceiling. Not a drop ceiling. Running cables would result in many holes. Additionally, power is an issue on the wall that would have the TV and all the equipment.

The reason I chose the layout I did was that I could hide all my equipment behind the wall. You see, that wall hides the stairs. I built a small room under the stairs to hide all the HT equipment.

I will try and include pictures in my next post.

Seems like everyone is suggesting bigger speakers all the way around. Im ok with that for the RL fronts, but I may need to do the M5hps on-wall. Im beginning to like the idea of in ceiling for the surrounds. What do you mean by RSL directional?

Lastly, I thought for a HT setup you want to stay with the same make all the way around?
RSL makes tilted in ceiling speakers. They are fantastic.

You dont have to have the same brand all around although it makes things easier. Most important is having similar output sensitivity and flattish anechoic measurements with well behaved off axis performance. Next is ensuring all channel levels are calibrated withinn 0.5db of eachother with your receiver’s manual setup routine. Last is EQ, but autoEQ should be avoided.

Larger speakers are generally capable of more low frequency output and more efficient. Big rooms tend to favour big speakers. It is worth doing some research (I’m sure you are) and saving up to do it right, once. grin Sticking with Axiom may allow you to move your old fronts to surround duty and going with new towers for main speakers.

I should add that adding more sound energy could backfire if you have an acoustically live space. Hardwood/tile with drywall and leather couches for example do not lend well to clear sound at loud volumes. I just visited a home where the owner wanted to upgrade from a Bose cinemate setup. Sucked to have to tell them they needed to budget for throw rugs and new furniture too.... 2 second decay times in that one!!
© Axiom Message Boards