I'm sorta hoping (and actually expecting) both formats to fail. My reason being that I read about these Holographic discs, that apparently cost around the same to manufacture, yet hold way more than HDDVD or BluRay. Another reason being that the general population doesn't take to format changes unless there is some very significant evolution going on. Think of the transition from cassette>CD and VHS>DVD. They're absolutely huge. Now think of the transition from CD to SACD or DVDA, not going so well. Niche for sure. I have no idea what's going to happen of course, but I just have a feeling a new format isn't going to fly right now. And who knows if there ever will be another physical format like we're used to now that becomes a standard, what with broadband taking over and all, all the piracy, everything you can do with a PC and your media. I don't think it's too far off until there literally is no standard physical format. So I can't see BluRay or HDDVD getting too much penetration and I think the major corps. are putting way too much faith in them. It's going to be interesting atleast.

One thing I'm wondering is if these new formats will translate into a new audio format that blows away SACD/DVDA?