I recently received my refurbished Harman Kardon 3480 receiver.

First impressions: the remote doesn't work, and it keeps going into protect.

They sent batteries that were dead. I replaced them after pondering the companies's incompetance.

Then I go to use it. I have a 12 year old tape player/radio thing I use.. mainly to test amps on. I use the speaker - it plays, for a while. Then it shuts down after what seems like current limiting or some self protection mode(I'm assuming this since it said protect before it shut down).

The receiver can be playing at -75 dB(extremely low), and it will go into that mode and shut down.

Right about now I feel like I bought it out of a white van next to sears.

I thought I'd unplug the speakers completely and just play something. It went into protect mode again - with no speakers attached. It doesn't even get warm, so I can't believe that the amps are being overloaded by forcing this pair of speakers to 20-40 dB @ 1 meter.

Then I tried disconnecting everything from it, even the jumpers from the preamp out-main in. It goes into protect with nothing plugged in a few seconds after I turn it on now.

Any ideas? I ordered my speakers before finding out this receiver was a useless brick. If I could do something to make it work without sending it back, that would be great. If not, unless HK offers me a new one that takes less than a week and a half to ship like this one did(did I call them morons already? ), I'm going for a refurbished dra-395.

I thought refurbished stuff was looked through to make sure it worked? The 5 lbs kmart tape player/radio that came with the speakers can drive them.

I apologize for the bitter tone - however, this kind of stuff happens to me very often. Yet when I spend close to $200 on something that was said to be looked through by a technician to ensure proper performance, I become extremely angry when they can't even send me a working amp, much less working batteries.

Last edited by Thasp; 07/19/05 03:34 AM.