A little disappointed, yet pleasantly suprised.

I ripped a store bought CD into my computer at 128 bps MP3 format. I then burned a CD of the album in MP3. The album I chose was from the band a perfect circle due to the large range of dynamics of the music and the high quality of the recording.

I placed the original in my first DVD playerand the MP3 version in my other DVD player. I started both discs simultaneously and then switched the sources back and forth. Well I was sure I was going to hear a difference and at first I could. The MP3 disc was quiter. I utilized my Onyko's intellivolume feature to match the loudness of both sources and then I couldn't hear any discernable difference. I was really hoping that my ears would be able to detect the loss of quality due to compression that I have been telling people exists when you go to MP3, but I just couldn't hear it. I listened on both a nice set of headphones and with my lovely axioms. They sounded the same. Which is good news, but I just thought I would be able to tell the difference.

Anybody done any similar tests with MP3 quality??