No,No, Not THAT wood!!....I've had the seventh inning stretch, but the game ain't over yet!!

The wood I was thinking of was what was mostly seen in the 60s, when walnut seemed to be the species of choice.

No kids; the nineteen 60s...

I'm sure my memory may be fading a bit(although my short term memory is improving!....Seems to be shorter every year!!)

But I seem to recall most every piece of even "slightly better than mediocre" quality audio hardware having at least some walnut applied to it. Maybe just on the sides, with a metal bottom and top, and maybe just a veneer, but seems that some was actually solid slabs!

I seem to recall the bases of many turntables made out of wood as well as many surrounding cases of reel to reel tape machines.

It may have been during that short period of time in which I was very impressional toward that sort of thing, and before it was career and family time, when my attention was taken away from audio for a bit.

So, for me, anyway, the golden age of audio may have been colored by the warm glow(of tubes)and of oiled walnut.
Rich.