Doug,
i think Freeflap was correct in his earlier statement about the Yamaha having upscaling ability on the RX-V2600 model stating, "Video composite, s-video and component signals are up-converted to HDMI output, with a Time Base Corrector (TBC) in the Analog Devices high-performance encoder and decoder. In addition, the RXV2600 also uses an Oplus™ high-performance de-interlacer for the best quality progressive video images (480i to 480p). It also up-scales 480i signals to 1080i/720p high definition resolution. The de-interlacing and up-scaling technologies used in the RXV2600 are superior to those of any other receiver in its class."

Funny, Denon looks like they might, with the 4306 & 4806 stating, "analog-to-HDMI video conversion, with video scaling to streamline video switching and to provide for maximum content quality for every source in your system," but later saying, "output signal up-converted to HDMI retains the resolution of the input signal."

If all things are equal between the Yamaha & HK vid processing, Yamaha takes a huge lead in the $$$ department. You should be able to find a 2600 for around a grand $US.

"Chickens don't clap."