The X-over point didn’t really help with the sub being, oh what’s the term……? Well, knowing where it is. This was strictly related to where I positioned it. By raising the X-over to 100 from 80, sound just seams to be fuller throughout the area. I think a set of M60’s or M80’s would probably benefit from a lower X-over as they move a lot more air than the little M22’s. I have a very unique situation to where the TV and seating are in a dormer section of a common loft that is open to a vaulted ceiling and the main living area below. Where the sub was, and still is, is an area where the roof rafters go from the roof pitch to the floor (8/12 pitch) and it is covered with knotty pine which is very reflective. When it was closer to the seating area, the roof line (going to the floor) was acting like a chamber that seams to direct the sound, and localize the sub. By moving it away from the seating area to a part of the loft where the roofline is higher, it allowed the low frequencies to even out throughout the loft.

As far as vertical vrs horizontal speaker placement, I think if you were to use one directional speaker, you would have to run it vertically. If not, the highs and lows would be off axis to the listener. That is one reason I went with two. The only place I could set the center was above the TV and it is about six feet off the floor. That’s why I had to build an angled shelf; to redirect the sound down toward the seating area. When I move all this to the dedicated HT room, I plan to use the M22’s as a center and keep them vertical, close together and just below the screen but as high as possible. The M3’s will be used as surround backs, and I’ll be mounting them horizontally and angled downward. If they sound funky, I’ll just use them in the garage and buy another set of QS-8’s.

I’ll post a couple pics when I get time to give a better description of my layout. All said, this has been a great learning experience for me.