"At the Axiom factory there are two M80s hanging from the wall about 8 feet off the ground and angled down slightly. Typical listening distance is about 30 feet and they sound great. Another vote for 2 M80s, 1 or 2 VP150s, QS8s and 2 EP500s."

Okay, but read on, bitte:

"I have a room, 30ft x 30ft x 9ft ceilings combined with a front projector Sanyo Z2 with a 2.35 screen, 51" x 120". Speakers as follows:

2 M60ti's
1 vp150
1 EP500
4 Qs8's

Feribaba, just build a stage below your screen to raise your speakers, not sure why you think you need bookshelves."

Okay, why do I think need a "bookshelf" speaker? Someone (at Axiom) might have suggested this to me last week? ;-)) This room size, as noted beforehand, is too large for HT and too small for movie theater, so it is often classified as a "post production screening room." We are talking only seating size here/room capacity, of course, not necessarily application/intended use.

Also, even though I am seeing tons of kind responses, I am still not sure how a "floorstanding" speaker can be "hung" between the floor and the ceiling? Or even if it should be.

In a cinema, the speakers are usually behind the screen, but some could be left/right/bottom as well. And they are either affixed to the back wall, or else (less frequently) mounted on a podium behind the screen. Either way, the idea is "OUT OF SIGHT."

Actually, I had thought, apparently naively, then there even could be some simple formula to calculate total and perhaps individual channel wattage requirements based on room size and room volume (app. 14.4k cu.ft. in this instance). Apparently, there is not, it is mostly a "hit or miss" game.

Perhaps there is some volume or similar handheld meter that I can get (Radio Shack??) that would give me a quick training. For example, by going to the local cinema and doing some measurements at various seats of the auditorium. Like footlambert mesaurement via a spot meter for getting that magic 16-20-25 ft.L. number prescribed by SMPTE.

Hopefully, I would not be tossed out for intellectual copyright violation in doing such a "live" measurement! ;-))