In reply to:

I do know that the standards at the NRC were quite rigorous and I suspect that Dr. Floyd Toole could mount a strong defense.

I would point out these tests involved, typically, four or five panel members, and tests were repeated in 25-minute sessions over the course of, usually, three days (if we were reviewing four different speakers)

Alan, an experiment can involve extremely tight protocols as you describe those which had occurred at the NRC, but a panel of only 5 people is the weak point of the experiment. Granted it is difficult to setup large scale experiments that can encompass hundreds of samples (e.g. hundreds of people), but any statistician could more than easily refute data based on low numbers regardless of protocol. I have at least two very strong publications in my files that demonstrate how effectively a low sample set can derive incorrect conclusions based on accurate results. This is not to say that the past audio science is useless but each conclusion drawn from it may be interpreted slightly differently or viewed with exceptions depending on whether those papers have proven their point convincingly enough to the reader.
Inevitably there are other ways to look at the data and re-examine some approaches that may show something different or tack on a new approach. Every scientist knows there is always something further to find from one's datasets. There is never any end to looking them over and over again. This was my point in regards to the grouping idea that may occur. Of those 5 panel reviewers, did 2 of them consistently provide data that showed they prefer heavier bass {enter other descriptor here} speakers?
Would a sample size of 100 people have shown 20% of that set tend to rate a certain speaker character higher than others? Obviously the term 'neutral' is the one that has come forth time and again to describe the overall sound these panels prefer, but there are still variations in a microscale within that sampling. Were any within group ranks viewed? Again the conclusions might not be evident considering the small numbers. Still, as an example: person A may have preferred the Paradigm Studio series consistently in their rankings while person B in the same 5 person panel may have consistently picked out the Axiom M60 yet both speakers sound so very similar, very neutral. The point is, although both speakers are "comparably similar", there is still a preference being made on an individual basis and cost aside, many audiophiles will still go with their preference.
Perhaps with a sample size of 50 people, there would have been a more clear pattern showing a grouping choosing one speaker over another, even if they were "comparably similar". With a large enough sample size, what was previously statistically insignificant, now may become statistically significant as the numbers maintain a greater power of detection when evaluating the hypothesis.

All the listening tests i do at home are in mono mode with single speakers. The last switching test i did sometime last year (Tannoys and Axioms) showed some pictures of that setup. The variables i worked towards keeping the same were seating position rather than multiple spots around the room, speaker SPL and speaker position (but both were swapped left and right and placed in exact locations using floor markers). It is true i don't have a fancy turning table to setup the stereo switching sessions so my home enthusiast attempts are limited in that regard. Perhaps if future NRC research (or Axiom's) decides to expand to include a larger survey, home enthusiasts such as myself could participate. I would be interested in the process.
That being said, i know the A/B switching tests i've done at home are honest and as objective as i can make them. The first Tannoy vs Axiom tests i did had me completely fooled. I could not tell which speaker was playing (12' sitting distance), did not know which one was on the left or right anyway and simply starting listening for the usual characters with the test songs. The speakers were both good, excellent sound reprodcution but they were different. I was certain that the speaker i kept picking out as my preference was the M60. It was only after i asked my 'tech' and followed the connection wires myself did i believe the opposite.
No one can convince me that my A/B setup introduces an easy-to-pick bias after that test although i will not likely be able to convince anyone otherwise unless they tried it themselves. After all, i'm only a sample of one.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."