In reply to:

I think you may be surprised how large the M60's are. Putting them on a shelf that high might make them seem a bit overwhelming. Perhaps more importantly, they are quite DEEP, and require at least a token amount of clearance for the ports on the back of the speaker. I don't know the depth of that shelf, but you might want to look into that dimension. Again, the M22's might end up being a better choice (use a good bookshelf speaker instead of setting a floorstander on a bookshelf) It would also be much easier - because of the weight - to engineer the sliding mount concept.

The "nook" where this will all be built is about 4ft deep, so I've got a fair amount of depth to work with. I wasn't too much against elevating the M60s, because I had read at least one reviewer who thought that the soundfield seemed a bit low to the ground. I'm also strongly considering having the cabinet actually terminate after the AV shelving on either side. Then I could put the towers and sub on the floor next to the cabinet.

In reply to:

Dude, seriously, you've got to get the sub out of the cabinet.

I know, I know... I think I've got her convinced to at least install a subwoofer jack in that northeast corner of the room -- so I'm getting there. That spot is just begging to be the home for a big, fat sub. Apparently, Dr. Hsu agrees. He recommended their VTF-3 in that spot. I'm not sure how tweaked I am about putzing with foam plugs and electronics behind the sub whenever I switch between music and movies, so I'm actually leaning a bit more toward the STF-3.

In reply to:

From an aesthetic (and kid and pet protection standpoint) I have quite enough grill cloth in my life, thank you very much.

Agreed. I already have one dog-chewed grill cloth on the el-cheapo dorm speakers in my current living room. Yet another reason for me to not be completely opposed to elevating the fronts (and a reason for me to favor Hsu/SVS for my sub).

In reply to:

Is it reasonable to suggest that you put an equipment-rack width space to the outside of the speakers on each side?

Should I expect any other problems with the sound field if I do this? I've been trying to follow the Dolby recommendations to a tea. As it is, I'm already short on the recommended 44-degrees of separation between my fronts.

Last edited by millerbrad; 04/21/06 07:15 PM.