In reply to:

Could you put the equipment in the "lower" cabinets under the TV so that you could leave the "shelf" part more open?

Potentially. I'd have to get on my knees every time I changed the DVD, but I'm not sure how much of an issue that really is to me. Another option to think about, I guess.

In reply to:

The VTF-3 comes in nicer finishes than the STF-3

Yeah, I noticed that shortly after I made that post. So, yeah.. I guess I'll probably go with a VTF after all. Now, if they'd actually have those Maples in stock. (I wonder what kind of waiting list they have going? That's probably best asked at the Hsu forums.).

I'd be more interested in SVS if you didn't apparently have to buy such expensive models before you get a choice of finishes. Axiom subs would be a no-brainer if it weren't for them being front-firing (although I'm not sure how well the 350 - more along the price I'd like to pay - stands up against similarly-priced competition).

In reply to:

If it was me, I'd try really hard to get the mains a couple feet away from the corners.

Thanks. I'll take that into consideration.

In reply to:

Having a wall directly behind the listening position is suboptimal, but that's life.

Yeah. Like my wife, I've never been a big fan of Great Rooms and the "furniture islands" that go along with them, which is why we went with furniture on the wall. Give and take, I guess.

In reply to:

...the Room and the other realities of life tend to require a few compromises here and there. You'll still be thrilled. Really.

Versus the 27" Magnavox and $200 Zenith mini-stereo I'm using now? Yeah, you're probably right...