Check out http://sound.westhost.com/cables.htm

Here is a hilarious quote from a section on the link:

"What we do is kind of dirty and stinky," he said. "We say we are starting with a 12 AWG zip cord, and we position a technician behind each speaker to change the cables out." The technicians hold up fancy-looking cables before they disappear behind the speakers. The critics debate the sound characteristics of each wire. "They describe huge changes and they say, 'Oh my God, John, tell me you can hear that difference,'" Mr. Dunlavy said. The trick is the technicians never actually change the cables, he said, adding, "It's the placebo effect."

I think that the changes noted by many people is just a bunch of bull. I have used 16ga Radio Shack zipcord, Monster XP speaker wire, and now 14ga 4-cond cable and have noticed no real differeneces. I have spent a few bucks more on good connectors and heat shrink to make them neater and make connections easier but you shouldn't have to spend much more than $50 on wiring all of your speakers. There is no scientific evidence that more expensive cables actually sound better, or even different for that matter. Anyone who spends >$100 per foot of speaker cable is probably bleeding out the you-know-what because they just got screwed bigtime.

Save your money for better speakers, amps, players, etc because they have a far more dramatic effect on sound than anything.