Quote:

Congratulations on the new toy, emiburke. Like most TVs, the Samsungs leave the factory set to a blinding brightness level in order to look better in a brightly lit showroom. Here are some initial settings provided by a nationally known, well respected ISF calibrator. You might try using them as a starting point and go from there.

"Congrats on your new display! Here are some settings that you may want to use that'll likely render a more accurate image.

Digital NR - OFF
DNIe - Off
Mode - Movie
Contrast - 40
Brightness - 45
Sharpness - 0
Color - 45
Tint - G50/R50
Color Tone - Warm2

If you want to take it up another level, I'd suggest performing a Digital Video Essentials (DVE) user-level setup. Here's a link to a tutorial that Dave Abrams and I wrote for American Wired a few months ago that may assist you with the procedure.

Avical's DVE user-level video calibration tutorial
"

I started with these settings, and, using DVE lowered the brightness and contrast even more. Much mo' betta! It's still a bit too "hot," and a touch blue heavy, but It's giving me a very good picture. I'm having my 5687 calibrated in less than a month, and that will all be corrected by my calibrator.

While it's certainly possible for an end user to achieve a PQ with which they are satisfied, I highly recommend having your set ISF calibrated if the budget will allow. It can make a world of difference. The professional can calibrate your HDTV to a standard (SMPTE) end users are unable to achieve. Without a professional calibration, you won't be realizing the potential of which your set is capable.

wow thanks for that, its a big help, i did already calibrate with dve, i can now check my results against these

M60, VP180, QS-8's
Marantz SR6005
Behringer EP4000
Stereo Integrity Mag 15"
Samsung HLS5087 DLP