Great advice guys.

My real budget I'm working with for soundproofing is going to be about $1700+tax for a 1000sqft open area basement. My main area for the sound is about 15x15, but I realize the actual soundproofing area is much larger than that.

This budget includes any Roxul safe & sound insulating. I know it's not a huge budget, but most of my $$$ is being spent on getting the basement finished and my audio/video equipment.

I plan to only work at sound proofing for noise travelling up through the first floor to the rest of the house, and not so much for deadening the sound in the basement. Also, I have a cold and hot air returns pretty much running over a quarter of the listening area (i.e. speakers right below), with returns leading to the basement ceiling right over the listening area.

Given my budget, these are my scenarios:

Scenario 1: No Safe and sound anywhere; double drywall and green glue in between layers in 75% of basement ceiling, including around HVAC units

Scenario 2: No Safe & sound anywhere; double drywall and green glue in between layers in listening area only; use Owens Corning material to insulate HVAC unit.

Scenario 3: Safe & sound everywhere; no double drywall or green glue; use Owens Corning material to insulate HVAC unit

Scenario 4: Safe & sound over listening area only; double drywall and green glue in between layers in listening area only; single layer no safe & sound over all other areas in the basement

More advice please would be very helpful.