Ok, lets see if I can remember what I all tried:

- direct sub output from old DVD player in my room: no go since it does not allow any volume control, so my sub was just pounding away happily with the rest of my system nearly silent

- 2.1 analog hookups from same DVD player to receiver: this allowed me to control the sub volume, but did not solve the problem. sub cuts out around the same sound level (~60-70 db).

-optical out from DVD player: same results as coax from computer (main source)

- optical and 2.1 analog from DVD player going through my old Pioneer receiver: approximately the same result. The receiver is set up for my old satellite speakers and the volume level displayed is significantly different from my newer yamaha (same sound level on panasonic was like -60 compared to -40 on new yamaha). At this similar sound level, the sub was still cutting out occasionally. I believe this rules out the possibility that my receiver output is bad.

- New 25' optical cable run from my computer to yamaha receiver: Instead of my old coax connection (which was actually 2 - 12' cables coupled together), I decided to run this guy and see if there was a difference. VICTORY!!! I was able to turn the volume down until I could hardly hear anything out of any of the speakers, but I could slightly hear the sub playing and the light was green in the back. I was jumping for joy until... it cut out again . I thought I just over did it by going to below my hearing, so I began turning it up a bit at a time... by the time the sub came back in, it was back at the same old volume as before *sigh*.

- I also tried using two different cables to the sub. No difference.

So I seem to have ruled out the receiver, cables, source... New idea, what about a different player on my computer? Just tried that, no luck. The only other possibility I can think of is my sound card encoding to DTS. I just changed it to output Dolby Digital, no change. Stereo PCM? Worse. So I'm out of ideas. The only thing I can find is that it must be the sub that isn't working right.

Any other suggestions? I'll send Axiom an email about my problem and maybe link to this thread so I don't have to re-type all of this again .

____________________________ M22 VP100 QS8 EP500 Yamaha HTR-5960