So, after a long time brewing over the decision, I went out and purchased an HD-DVD drive.... Here's what preceded my decision so you have a better understanding of my assumptions / objectives:

1) I purchased an Axiom Epic 60 home theater system paired with a Denon 3806 and a 60' Sony SXRD. Thanks for everyone's help in setting it up. What an amazing system.. I also happened to buy an Xbox 360 to support the wife's video game addiction. Oblivion IV: Elder Scrolls was a particularly difficult point in our marriage, I don't think we spoke for a month. I refuse to purchase Xbox online for fear of………………I digress

2) I'm an HD content whore. I rarely venture out of the 10 HD channels that in our cable package. Sports and nature shows are amazing in HD.

3) Upscaled DVDs don't cut it. Although 480p DVDs look ok, it isn’t the same after watching 1080i TV. I won't go into the 1080i / p discussion, I believe most people won't know the difference. My TV does not support it anyway.

4) Price: 200 bucks is all that the XBOX 360 HD-DVD drive set me back. That's a lot less than many CD burners that I've paid for in the past. 600 for the cheapest blue-ray (PS3) is a lot.

5) Technology: I really don't care about the storage capacity between the formats and blu-rays support for 1080p. My TV doesn’t support it anyway

6) Lots of chatter about HD sound formats (DTS / Dolby). My point of view is my Denon does not support the HD formats and Dolby digital 5.1 is just fine. The HD-DVD drive claims to support DTS, but I think it's BS since the XBox 360 does not. Looking for more information / opinions here.

7) Format risk: If I’ve chosen the “wrong” format, I’m only out 200 bucks. If blu-ray “wins” I’ll go out and buy a PS3 in another 18 months when the price gets to a reasonable amount (300 ish).

8) Netflix: I don’t have to invest in a potentially “dead” format, since I don’t buy many DVDs due to my monthly Netflix subscription. I was thoroughly surprised how many HD-DVD movies are out there. I think most studios are releasing in two formats until there’s a “winner”

Just my home theater thoughts for the day… any comments and opinions are greatly appreciated…..

YoYo