Out of necessity, I've been doing quite a bit of research on the HD / Loss-less sound formats. In a nutshell, HD is the only format that provides a Loss-less multichannel audio format. The new Sony BR player may be able to decode loss-less codecs on BR disks, but that's hard to confirm. There are not many on the streets yet so user comments are scarce.

If you can't stand to watch SD DVD's, then you should consider getting yourself another DVD player or an external video processor. The difference between HD and SD ran through my VP at 720P is not that great. I suspect that when I get a 1080P projector the difference will more noticeable, but it isn't at 720P.

Regardless of all that, I am enjoying HD DVD's. Not just the new releases, but what I enjoy most about it is the older movies that are getting transferred to HD. I watched Caddyshack the other night and it hasn't ever looked that good. My only gripe is that I'll soon be compelled to buy a BR player so that I can enjoy more films that the BR supporting studios use.

I universal HD / BR player would be nice.

Until then, HD players are not as expensive as one might think. The first gen players can be had for under $300 and the second gen players can be found for under $500.

Last edited by mdrew; 12/18/06 05:14 PM.