I've been using my new Harmony 890 and i really like it. It is not the perfect unit as i would agree, the buttons are kind of slim and not intuitive by touch. The stop/play/pause buttons are not in the standard order like most remotes and they do not have unique shapes to help your fingers locate them without pressing the glow button or memorizing their locations (this will come with time).
Many of the buttons from the other remotes are stored in the 890 but i have to scroll through 11 pages to find specific buttons for the Onkyo receiver. I will need to do some rearranging to get the more used buttons onto the first screen but other than that, the simplicity of having a fast learning, one button push unit has been great. MY wife loves it for that and so will the visiting relatives.
I still have batteries in my other remotes in case i need to jump back for something that is rarely done but easier with them (e.g. setting up convergence fixes on the tv).
Now i'm looking into getting another but smaller remote for our main floor tv (dvdp, preamp/receiver and satellite plus tv to get into one).

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."