Quote:

I'm not sure it is so important whether the kid is a "natural" or not. If he/she has fun playing the drums then that is all that really matters.

J

I see what you mean, but only partially agree. The problem there is that both parent and child will become frustrated if child can't carry a beat. The child will cease to have fun if he/she is unable to actually play. imagine if you really wanted to become a cyclist, but all you could do is walk your bike around the neighborhood... the novelty would wear off quickly and you'd move on to something you could actually 'do'.

opening up Pandora's box here: drumming is unlike most other instruments in that you can be taught to play just about any other instrument, and play it well. you can't be taught how to play drums well. you either have "it" or you don't. if you have "it" you always will and drumming will be fun and enjoyable for the rest of your life. it's kinda like riding a bike, but way, way cooler!

I do see what you are saying though. if the kid wants to bang about and that makes him happy, who am I to advise you that he/she shouldn't play. but if the kid really wants to learn it is best that you find out if the kid can hit. you've seen American Idol? better you telling him to find another instrument than Simon Cowell.

Cheers!

-s