Acoustic drums ARE cheaper, or I should say "less expensive." I have been playing for over 25 years, and I've played acoustic, electric, and now V-Drums (just a different way to say "newer style electric").

My V-Drums I have now are my favorite so far. When I got my 1988 vintage Tama Techstar electric drums, I loved them at first, but this was prior to electrics haveing actual drum samples. It grew old quickly. I said that I would NEVER have an electric set again. I was wrong.

Acoustics are what you will see most bands playing (although that is changing), but this isn't for a band. There is a certain "warmness" to an acoustic set, but you will also notice the the quality of components (drum heads, cymbal brands/models, construction materials) will make a difference in sounding like a "kids" set and something a little nicer.

That is where I really like the V-Drums. You can play "hard" but with headphones, not be waking the neighbors. Are they silent? Absolutely not. You are, after all, taking a wood stick and hitting a hardened (in your case) rubber pad. There IS noise, but a LOT less than trying to do the same on an acoustic set. I also like the ability to have a whole slews of kits and instruments. Although, I find that I play a custom kit that I've set up and saved more than the others. But I have that option.

Either way, you want to make sure that it is fun. If you loose out on the fun aspect of drumming, you will end up with an expensive toy sitting in the corner, taking up space. I can "jack in" an MP3 player right into the sound module, and then it "mixes" with my drumming so that I can play along to some tunes and nobody hears that either....

Good Luck!

Farewell - June 4, 2020