Can you expand on how the laptop would access the music server where all the files are stored ? and how / where does the squeezbox come into the equation ?
My formats are FLAC and APE. I know that the slimdevice supports one of them..so I'd convert the other ones.

So if the laptop would control the music in the kitchen, would I use a remote, like the URC MX-3000 for the bedroom ? and my HT system as well of course.

Stephane

You just need to create a home network with windows and share your music folder on the network. With SlimServer on your laptop, you simply point it to your shared music folder on the network, and SlimServer will play the music housed on your PC on your laptop accessing that folder. You would not need a remote to control the music in the kitchen.

The squeezebox will allow you to play music in any other listening zone. So, if your HT is not in the same room as your PC, add a squeezebox to your HT to play all your music on your HT set-up. The squeezebox has a nice display and a simple remote that makes browsing your collection quite easy. The squeezebox works best if it is wired by ethernet cable to your home network, but mine work wirelessly with my router and I have no problems. There are some options for some very slick remotes, and you might be intrigued by the Nokia770 option (browse the slimdevices message boards for details), but as long as you can see the squeezebox, the remote is pretty unnecessary.

I'm happy to answer more questions about it. Ask away!